Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SAWStudio VST INI utility not running

I know I've used it successfully on my Windows 10 desktop computer, but on my new Dell laptop, no can do. When I go to run it, I get a prompt telling me it needs .NET Framework 1.1. When I go to install the latest version from MS (ver. 4.8), it says I already have it installed. Ideas?

I have a zillion UAD VST DLLs that I'm hoping for SAW to reach via INIs, and the thought of doing creating all manually is not bringing joy to my heart.

Thanks.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Default Re: SAWStudio VST INI utility not running

1.1 is a really old version of .NET. And, I am far from an expert on any version of it. Also, I don't use that utility, Dave (in fact, I didn't know it existed - although it sounds nifty, and someday when I am ready, I may ask you for it). So, I can't say with authority that this solution will work. But, I found this and maybe it will help:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dot...ework-1-1-apps

What I'm reading indicates that ver. 1.1 hasn't worked on a MS OS since Windows 7. But ver. 2 is supported and may support ver. 1.1 functionality. Further, I read that you can install multiple versions of .NET on a computer concurrently. But where will you find an installable version 2? In ver. 3.5 SP1, of course! The article includes a link to that install.

Will installing ver. 2, via ver. 3.5 SP1 work for you? I don't know, but Microsoft seems to believe that it will, at least. Good luck - and report back!

Quote Originally Posted by John Ludlow View Post
    1.1 is a really old version of .NET. And, I am far from an expert on any version of it. Also, I don't use that utility, Dave (in fact, I didn't know it existed - although it sounds nifty, and someday when I am ready, I may ask you for it). So, I can't say with authority that this solution will work. But, I found this and maybe it will help:

What I'm reading indicates that ver. 1.1 hasn't worked on a MS OS since Windows 7. But ver. 2 is supported and may support ver. 1.1 functionality. Further, I read that you can install multiple versions of .NET on a computer concurrently. But where will you find an installable version 2? In ver. 3.5 SP1, of course! The article includes a link to that install.

Will installing ver. 2, via ver. 3.5 SP1 work for you? I don't know, but Microsoft seems to believe that it will, at least. Good luck - and report back!
    Well, I got the thing running on my desktop computer, so I know it'll work in Windows 10. As I recall, it didn't take anything special to make it work, either; so I was thinking maybe there was something else I could check. But what do I know?

So... version 3.5 SP1 of what, exactly?
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    Well, I got the thing running on my desktop computer, so I know it'll work in Windows 10. As I recall, it didn't take anything special to make it work, either; so I was thinking maybe there was something else I could check. But what do I know?

So... version 3.5 SP1 of what, exactly?
    v3.5 of .NET
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    v3.5 of .NET
    But of course. Thanks.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by John Ludlow View Post

Well, I'd installed v. 4.8, which was not recognized by the SAWVSTINITOOL EXE. Then I tried v. 3.5 sp1, per your suggestion, John, but got the same result. Good idea, but, alas...

Certainly, others have this working on their Windows 10 x64 machines. What's the secret? How did you make it go, people?
    Becket, Massachusetts

I know I've used it successfully on my Windows 10 desktop computer, but on my new Dell laptop, no can do. When I go to run it, I get a prompt telling me it needs .NET Framework 1.1. When I go to install the latest version from MS (ver. 4.8), it says I already have it installed. Ideas?

I have a zillion UAD VST DLLs that I'm hoping for SAW to reach via INIs, and the thought of doing creating all manually is not bringing joy to my heart.

Thanks.
    I believe there is a new version of the "ini tool" not an exe extension but a bat extension .
    find it at :
    http://www.richmccoy.com/SAWStudioSACVSTINITool/

It works on all my Win 10 machines
    Hope this helps
    Warren
    Warren @ The Masters Tracks

Well, I'd installed v. 4.8, which was not recognized by the SAWVSTINITOOL EXE. Then I tried v. 3.5 sp1, per your suggestion, John, but got the same result. Good idea, but, alas...

Certainly, others have this working on their Windows 10 x64 machines. What's the secret? How did you make it go, people?
    I wish I could give you a link to the specific place I finally got 1.1 downloaded and installed on my own win10/x64 back in January, when I also had to go through this mess - and like you Dave, even after having gotten the ini tool to install on my first win10 pc. But, I can only verify that I was finally able to get net 1.1 and installed correctly (after also installing 4.8 (I think) and one or 2 other versions before getting a version of 1.1 - seems to me it didn't work with the first file download I found, but it's all hazy now). But I did finally have to specifically install 1.1 separately and somehow it worked after that.

I hoped that I had at least a website link, but I don't have it bookmarked on that pc - anyway. I will check the others and see what I can find - maybe, I downloaded it to a different pc first....

You can just copy the VSTs to the SAW VST folder. They have always worked for me fine like that.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    I believe there is a new version of the "ini tool" not an exe extension but a bat extension .
    find it at :
    http://www.richmccoy.com/SAWStudioSACVSTINITool/

It works on all my Win 10 machines
    Hope this helps
    Warren
    Thanks, Warren. Good find. I didn't know about this. I did remember that I found another option in the recent past (actually, Steve Berson found it); it was still on my machine. I think it's a little simpler to use than Rich McCoy's tool. But it's never bad to have options! Here's the one I'm talking about:

http://elements.byethost3.com/plugin...ml?i=1#dll2ini
    Becket, Massachusetts