Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Plug-In To Mix Down To mp3?

Hmm, just curious. I often have to mix my productions down to mp3 to e-mail demos to the client. Right now, I use NCR's "SWITCH" software to convert, but I'm wondering if there is a SAW Basic plug-in available that would enable me to run an mp3 mix right off my Multitrack view.

Default Re: Plug-In To Mix Down To mp3?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M View Post
    Hmm, just curious. I often have to mix my productions down to mp3 to e-mail demos to the client. Right now, I use NCR's "SWITCH" software to convert, but I'm wondering if there is a SAW Basic plug-in available that would enable me to run an mp3 mix right off my Multitrack view.
    I haven't used this in quite awhile, but the JMS Lace is a native and free mp3 plugin for SAW.
    http://www.jms-audioware.com/lace.htm

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I haven't used this in quite awhile, but the JMS Lace is a native and free mp3 plugin for SAW.
    Ah hah! I KNEW somebody would pull through. I will check it out asap. Thanks, UpTilDawn!

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I use it al the time. Remember to insert it in the final resolution spot on the master output. Then build to fx.

Quote Originally Posted by Grekim View Post
    I use it al the time. Remember to insert it in the final resolution spot on the master output. Then build to fx.
    I will never understand the language you guys speak (SAWish?), but I THINK I'll be able to figure out how to use the plug-in. If not, I'll be back!

Thanks. TM

Quote Originally Posted by Grekim View Post
    Remember to insert it in the final resolution spot on the master output. Then build to fx.
    OK, I'm stumped.

What is the "Master Output" and how do I insert it into the "Final Resolution" on it?

And when you say "Build to FX" do you mean "Build Mix to FX Modules?"

Yeah, I'm that dumb with this new version of SAW. And by the way, I have SAW Basic. Perhaps this plug-in doesn't work with the basic version?

Oh, and you know what I forgot to tell you? Just like the SAW HELP file won't open on my computer, neither will the Lace HELP file!

OK, I'm stumped.

What is the "Master Output" and how do I insert it into the "Final Resolution" on it?

And when you say "Build to FX" do you mean "Build Mix to FX Modules?"

Yeah, I'm that dumb with this new version of SAW. And by the way, I have SAW Basic. Perhaps this plug-in doesn't work with the basic version?

Oh, and you know what I forgot to tell you? Just like the SAW HELP file won't open on my computer, neither will the Lace HELP file!
    If Basic has this - look in the View Menu for FX and F-Res Patches. This is a third FX routing choice that may not be in your default F-key views..... assuming you have F-Key views. (sorry, I just don't know about Basic).
    This is where you want to put the Lace plug-in - in the Final Res (or F-Res) Patches.

And yes, use the Build Mix To FX Modules choice instead of whatever you normally choose.

That's partly there anyway - hope it helps.

Thanks again, all. I've had some PM assistance with this and it just isn't working. I don't want to screw around anymore when there are perfectly good options out there for converting my files. I thought this would save a step, but it's only wasting more time.

Omma go back to "Switch File Converter."

TM

Thanks again, all. I've had some PM assistance with this and it just isn't working. I don't want to screw around anymore when there are perfectly good options out there for converting my files. I thought this would save a step, but it's only wasting more time.

Omma go back to "Switch File Converter."

TM
    Actually, not...so...fast.

I just tried it again. This time, when I got to the "Build Mix to FX Setup" dialog box and saw that it was essentially blank (except for the bit setting and Stereo/Mono setting, I believe), instead of slamming my fist and getting angry, I just clicked OK. Then, all of a sudden, SAW built me an mp3!

This is NOT how you guys described it would work - or at least not how I understood what you were describing. But it DID work. It still seems like more effort than just converting the file afterward, though, so I probably will not continue using this plug-in.

Anyway, thank you for your patience...again. TM

In the long run, I find it best to keep all your editing work in the lossless wav file format, including the final mixdown... then convert that to whatever format you need for distribution... this way you always have a final mix as a master at the highest quality.

Actually editing mp3 and other compressed formats is not a good idea... the program has to uncompress the file anyway in the background in order to get to each sample of data while you edit, and then the program will generally re-compress it in the background each time you save your work... by the end of working on a large project, you might actually be de-compressing and re-compressing the file multiple times, resulting in a huge quality loss. If the program handles it smartly, then it will de-compress it once in the beginning into a wav (lossless) format and save that to a temp file the entire time you edit and save and re-open the project... then convert it back in the end... as far as I am concerned, you have more control to just do that yourself in your favorite converter utility where you get to control the conversion parameters and maintain the highest quality level you need.

Bob L