Close

Thread: RAM Upgrade

1. Default RAM Upgrade

I upgraded the RAM in the laptop I'm testing from 4GB 667MHz DDR2 to 4GB 800MHz DDR2.

It went from 85% load at 24 channels to 55%.

Just saying

Default Re: RAM Upgrade

That's not very surprising to me. One of the big issues Bob has talked about is that applications on Windows contend for the memory buss all the time, and as a real-time app, SAC fights that all the time. If you've got a faster memory buss, all that becomes less of an issue.

Really -- I suspect that once your processor is above a Pentium D, you get far more bang for the buck for SAC from getting a faster memory buss than you do from any CPU improvement.
    Jim King
    SSR Sound
    http://www.ssrrentals.com

3. Default Re: RAM Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Henry View Post
    I upgraded the RAM in the laptop I'm testing from 4GB 667MHz DDR2 to 4GB 800MHz DDR2.

Just saying
    Not surprising at all. Everything has to run through memory and your RAM should be at least the speed of your FSB. If it's slower, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

This is why overclocking memory goes lock-step with overclocking the CPU.

4. Default Re: RAM Upgrade

Yup I agree with you guys, but I also know how often memory speed is overlooked, especially in the case of laptops.

I decided to post just so that anyone on a laptop host, who hasn't thought of checking, would get a heads up and maybe a nice little performance boost.

Default Re: RAM Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Henry View Post

Just saying
    I mentioned in a previous post that the Front Side Bus (FSB) was a big deal. My upgrade consisted of a CPU of equal speed, but with a much faster FSB. My results were exactly the same as yours.
    DF

http://soundaddy.com

Intel DG965OT Motherboard (11/17/08) - Intel P4 LGA-775 651 (Cedar Mill) 3.4GHz CPU
    2.0GB 800Mhz RAM - 40GB Intel X25-V SSD - 500GB SATA "Spinner"

RME HDSP 9652 (x2 - 1 spare) - Behringer ADA8000 (x5 - 2 spares)
    CM MotorMix (x3 - Host system) - Behringer BCF-2000 (Remote system)