Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Subgroup Name propagation

I agree with you Bob but many times I have only 1 or 2 seconds to do it before the next scene
    I have got very quick but sometimes update the wrong scene

Butch

The use of scenes is a complex operation and is best programmed during rehearsals not live during the show. It requires careful consideration to program a performance and tweak the adjustments.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Butch Bos View Post
    Hey Bob how about a 1 key update current on deck scene
    One-button update would be a great feature... Have the software track what changes have been made since the last recall and with one command update the current scene with those changes.

4. Default Re: Subgroup Name propagation

My scenes mainly control fader levels and mutes. EQ, routing and channel labels are left alone, with the occasional exception of a channel label changing with a mic swap.
    Since I do the same show with multiple casts I've found it much easier and faster to adjust the gain on the preamp for the different cast members than it is to change levels within a scene and reprogram on the fly. As Butch noted it is too easy to make a mistake with scene programming.
    As Bob stated the trick with Scenes is to recall the scene you want to change. If you have Auto Advance on then the highlighted scene in the Scenes window will be the Next Scene, not the one you just recalled, so you must then highlight the intended scene in the Scenes window (by putting the cursor on it and left-clicking on it with a single click) - if you don't then you will change the next scene that is highlighted, NOT the current scene.
    I only choose the channels I want the scene to change, NOT the entire console state. I do that by selecting the desired channels in the F Mixer by clicking on the top channel number. I then choose to Update the partial channel data on the selected channels and choose only the parameters that need to be changed. This way any EQ, routing or other parameters I've changed on the Mains or any Monitors channels do not get saved with the scene and will then track through the entire show.

How about an option to bypass most of the scene update stuff
    Just hit update and it would be like saying no to update ch and enter to the scene list
    Maybe label it with a HazMat symbol to make sure you really want to do it
    Then I could just select the scene in the list and hit update

Butch

Well, we had our first full Christmas musical run-through using the pseudo DCA method (using SAC groups) and, while it does have its advantages, it was a bit of an issue updating scenes for the ever present last minute changes we endure (one character's line moved to another, random mid-song one-liner added last minute...you know, because they're already mic'd for later dialog).

I think if we had a month of daily tech rehearsals like true theater houses have, all these would be worked out well before the performance, however, as a church that just does a few big musical theater productions each year, we only get about 5 actual full run-through all-character/chorus rehearsals to work all of this out (only 3 with orchestra).

The biggest thing I missed was having all drama mics run to the same subgroup like I usually do, so if a character needed to be added/changed I just had to unmute or mute the appropriate channels and re-save the scene, which is pretty quick, as opposed to also routing the output to the appropriate group and labeling/re-labeling it correctly, which is not. Or, if I needed to adjust a channel parameter I instinctively selected the fader I was adjusting, which is only the group that it was routed to. I'd have to move to the on-screen Full Mixer view with the mouse to select and adjust parameters, which took more time than I wanted.

So, good method with plenty of time to program, however, I think I'll go back to the simple channel, subgroup and mute group method I was using before.

HTH,
    Jeff

7th Voice FOH/Mon/Sys Tech
    www.7thVoice.net
    www.reverbnation.com/7thvoice

SAC Installation:
    Dell Optiplex 990, Intel i5/4GB RAM
    3xMOTU 2408, PCI-424x card, 6x ART TubeOpto8, 2x Motormix

SAC Portable Rig:
    IBM ThinkCentre M50 3.2GHz/4GB RAM
    2x MOTU 2408/PCI-424x card, 2x ART TubeOpto8, 2x M-Audio Profire 2626
    Yamaha Promix01 controller, EWI Tourcase
    CUDJ-P-22.

7. Default Re: Subgroup Name propagation

Quote Originally Posted by jlklein View Post
    So, good method with plenty of time to program, however, I think I'll go back to the simple channel, subgroup and mute group method I was using before.
    I too think that method works best for a busy show with little tech time.