Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: New Win10 LTSB build - RME RayDAT Update

Just received my RME RayDAT card this morning.

Load is running 60-65 percent at 48K/24-bit sample rate/resolution and 32x1 buffer setting. No dropped buffers after 45 minutes. (will continue to let this run all day)

I have done no system optimizations other than setting SAC /SAW to XP3 compatibility and SAC set to "Force Single CPU" and "Force High Priority Class"

Audio system configuration
    -----------------------------------------------------
    32 input channels active
    - EQ active on all FOH inputs
    - Dynamics active on 8 inputs
    - 4 AUX sends active on 8 Inputs

4 FOH aux sends
    1. Studio Echo/Delay
    2. Studio Reverb
    3. VST Chorus CH-2
    4. VST Classic Chorus

4 FOH subgroups routed to 2 master outs (mains and Subs)

7 Monitor mixes (1 master and 6 stereo mixes)
    Mix 1 - Master monitor (Source Pre A)
    - Eq Active on all 32 channels
    - Dynamics active on all 32 channels

Mix 2-7 Active and output to separate RME stereo outputs

SAW Studio Software running
    SAW Link active and 32 channels engaged with Record Ready running (should be same load as active recording)

DMXIS Lighting software running

SAC Remote with FOH rights
    - one remote box connected
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Default Re: New Win10 LTSB build

Pictures of test system
    Name:  SAC-Remote.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  99.7 KBName:  Win10LTSB-SAC-test.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  98.7 KB
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    ... SAW Studio Software running
    SAW Link active and 32 channels engaged with Record Ready running (should be same load as active recording)...
    I would think you'd want SAW recording tracks to check that the hard drive and writing of files is working at the same time. At least in my very non-tech opinion.

Interesting results...a couple of questions, comments

-If you change the sample rate from 48k to 44.1k...does it make a difference in the load?
    -If you change from "Force High Priority Class" to "Force RealTime Priority Class"...does it make a difference in the load?

Windows 10 LTSB, Long-Term Support Build version of Windows 10 Enterprise, has only one feature that is of concern to SAW/SAC users, and that is the ability to turn off Windows Update...but it is still the same bloated, over built, task scheduling pig of an operating system as all the other Windows 10 versions.

A SAC load of 60-65 percent is very impressive for Windows 10, but a clean install of Windows 7 will give you a load of slightly under 50%(45 to 47 percent as as stated in previous posts) and if run on a dedicated system with a 4 GigHz processor, you may even get better results.
    Laughing Crow Studios
    Alberta Canada

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I would think you'd want SAW recording tracks to check that the hard drive and writing of files is working at the same time. At least in my very non-tech opinion.
    I will test this later, but that task is not system intensive. I'm not doing it currently because I don't have the drive I will be writing to connected to the system yet. Currently just have the system drive installed on the motherboard.
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny O View Post
    Interesting results...a couple of questions, comments

-If you change the sample rate from 48k to 44.1k...does it make a difference in the load?
    -If you change from "Force High Priority Class" to "Force RealTime Priority Class"...does it make a difference in the load?
    It appears to drop maybe 3-5%

Switching to "Realtime Priority" seems to get me to about 45%. I'll have to run with this setting for a while and see if it drops buffers.

Windows 10 LTSB, Long-Term Support Build version of Windows 10 Enterprise, has only one feature that is of concern to SAW/SAC users, and that is the ability to turn off Windows Update...but it is still the same bloated, over built, task scheduling pig of an operating system as all the other Windows 10 versions.
    Actually theres more than just Update routines. LTSB doesn't install Cortana, the edge browser, the App Store, and some of the other phone home clutter. Its a much less bloated install.

A SAC load of 60-65 percent is very impressive for Windows 10, but a clean install of Windows 7 will give you a load of slightly under 50%(45 to 47 percent as as stated in previous posts) and if run on a dedicated system with a 4 GigHz processor, you may even get better results.
    This may be true, I haven't had the chance to test as yet. The exact load however is really not that important, what matters is that the system is stable and doesn't have the mix engine stomped on by other processes.

The fact that I did nothing to the system to streamline anything, just a basic install, turn off the phone home sh*t, and set SAC and SAW to run as XP3 compatible programs is actually much more important to me personally. It was a very easy setup. I haven't had to try and chase down odd behavior or other rogue processes.

Additionally, at least in my limited testing I'm getting better performance (more stable operation) from this build than my ASUS core i5 winXP system. I can't run that system at 32x1 with the remote connected without dropping buffers. As near as I can tell there is a IRQ conflict with the ethernet controller, but there is no way to change that interrupt.

That was actually one of the specific things I was looking at when I selected the current motherboard, I wanted to make sure it had an Intel Ethernet controller (which my ASUS motherboard does not).

I'm not advocating for win10. It was more just a question of can I make it work without jumping though too many hoops.

So far its looking pretty good, but I wouldn't take this system out on a real show anytime soon. Lots of more bench testing to do first. In the end I may end up on Win7, I'll just have to wait and see.
    Philip G.

Default Re: New Win10 LTSB build - Update

Was getting some inconsistent odd behavior. Sometimes system would run with no dropped buffers and other times restarting it would drop buffers like crazy (hundreds at a time).

Realized I hadn't done any system tuning and still had hyper-threading enabled.

I've since disabled hyper-threading and set the processor affinity to a single core.

I still seem to need to turn on force single CPU, but I'm now running without using any of the other "force" options (CPU Blocking, High-priority class, or real-time priority class).

turning those options on actually causes dropped buffers. I've also disabled the windows defender processes.

One thing I am seeing is inconsistency with the ASIO driver Setup screen. Sometimes it opens and sometimes it flashes on screen and then is covered up. I can open it reliably from the task bar, but it really should open without issue from within SAC. There also seems to be a delay when switching buffer settings. I have to open and close the "audio device setup" window a couple of times before the buffer size changes show up.

For example, open the RME device setup and change the buffer setting from 32 samples to 64. Open the "audio device setup" screen and the buffer setting at the bottom still shows a buffer size of 32. Close the setup screen and reopen, now the setting shows the correct buffer size of 64.
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    One thing I am seeing is inconsistency with the ASIO driver Setup screen. Sometimes it opens and sometimes it flashes on screen and then is covered up. I can open it reliably from the task bar, but it really should open without issue from within SAC.
    I couldn't get the ASIO driver setup control panel in SAWStudio to open the other day. It may have been related to Sound Forge being open at the same time as SAW, but I don't recall for sure. Do you have some other program sharing the ASIO driver with SAC/SAW?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    I couldn't get the ASIO driver setup control panel in SAWStudio to open the other day. It may have been related to Sound Forge being open at the same time as SAW, but I don't recall for sure. Do you have some other program sharing the ASIO driver with SAC/SAW?
    Nope. The only software loaded on the system is SAC, SAW and DMXIS.

I've been busy with other stuff, so haven't had a chance to get back to this.

Will try to resolve in a few weeks when the rest of my world settles down.
    Philip G.