Close

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: PreSonus StudioLive Series III

Richard,
    Has anyone used the StudioLIve Series III with SAWStudio as a record/mix USB interface? If so, how well does it work? (Is the PreSonus USB protocol compatible with SAW?)TIA
    So, Richard, did you ever get a response to your original query?

As with many such postings, this posting went south.

Are you able to rent a StudioLIve Series III?

It might be helpful to note that most, if not all, of their USB devices use the same control software, called "Universal Control". I have used their "control software" with their USB audio interfaces along with SAC, and all worked well!

If you check the USB mixers - such as the StudioLIve Series III, these mixers use the same control software as the audio interfaces.

Hope this helps?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Richard,

So, Richard, did you ever get a response to your original query?

As with many such postings, this posting went south.

Are you able to rent a StudioLIve Series III?

It might be helpful to note that most, if not all, of their USB devices use the same control software, called "Universal Control". I have used their "control software" with their USB audio interfaces along with SAC, and all worked well!

If you check the USB mixers - such as the StudioLIve Series III, these mixers use the same control software as the audio interfaces.

Hope this helps?
    Hi Dell,
    Apparently no one has had direct experience with the Series III, so... no, I didn't get a specific answer. I live far from any dealers, let alone one that would have one in stock and/or be willing to rent one. Some time ago I tried to get a Focusrite USB interface to work with SAC, and it turned out that the USB drivers didn't use the proper protocol, so it could never be used. I was concerned that I could run into that problem with SAW and the Series III. I wrote PreSonus about it a year ago and asked about their driver specific. They simply replied that the USB driver meets "standard protocol" or some such language, which really means nothing. Thanks for the input - it's good to know you've had success with their USB interaces; that bodes well.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Hey Richard,
    Just saw this thread tonight. I have the series iii 16 channel board. It's still relatively new to us. We use it primarily for live mixing from stage for our family Gospel bluegrass band but are now recording a project with it. We use the included Capture program for recording... then we'll bring the audio into SAW for editing. To your question... I have not been able to successfully get SSL and the board to talk with each other. So, no recording/mixing with it in SSL via USB. Sigh. I've tried all the different options I can think of including Asio4all. Despite this, it's an amazing board, and Capture is a dream to work with for studio recording. It's not an editor but a well-designed tool for what it does. It punches in and gives you "handles" to slide the boundaries of what you've just recorded, or recorded over top of... guess you'd have to try it to see what I mean. Anyway, works great for our needs. But again, not as a SSL interface at this point. Sure hope that changes. In the meantime, I'm interested in interfaces for editing and monitoring that work well with SAW.

Kent
    I love the story of Christmas - Matthew 1:18-24

Quote Originally Posted by Kent F View Post
    Hey Richard,
    Just saw this thread tonight. I have the series iii 16 channel board. It's still relatively new to us. We use it primarily for live mixing from stage for our family Gospel bluegrass band but are now recording a project with it. We use the included Capture program for recording... then we'll bring the audio into SAW for editing. To your question... I have not been able to successfully get SSL and the board to talk with each other. So, no recording/mixing with it in SSL via USB. Sigh. I've tried all the different options I can think of including Asio4all. Despite this, it's an amazing board, and Capture is a dream to work with for studio recording. It's not an editor but a well-designed tool for what it does. It punches in and gives you "handles" to slide the boundaries of what you've just recorded, or recorded over top of... guess you'd have to try it to see what I mean. Anyway, works great for our needs. But again, not as a SSL interface at this point. Sure hope that changes. In the meantime, I'm interested in interfaces for editing and monitoring that work well with SAW.

Kent
    Kent, thank you for that reply!! I think this to be exactly what I need to know. I believe I understand you to say that SAWStudio does not "see" the USB device input in order to allow you to record and play back through the mixer. This is exactly what I was afraid of; that SAW requires a specific format for the ASIO driver and PreSonus doesn't use it. I did write the company a year or so ago and all they would say is that the drivers were "class compliant". That didn't tell me much... I had specifically indicated what SAWStudio needed, but they didn't bother to answer my specific question.

Frankly, I'd LOVE it if the Series III could be used as a controller, but that wouldn't be essential. But to not be able to record to SAW is definitely a major downside. Curiously, how do you monitor your audio that's been brought in to SAW if you can't get it into the board? Do you use a separate interface/converter?

Thanks again for your input.
    Last edited by Richard Rupert; 03-14-2019 at 05:24 PM.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Blog Entries

Richard,

I guess this whole discussion could have been greatly simplified by asking the question, "Can the PreSonus StudioLive Series III be used as a control surface?" Apparently not ... yet!

However, it would appear that PreSonus does have plans to implement this functionality in the future. See here: StudioLive Series III DAW Mode Update

Here is the gist, "MCU and HUI DAW Control Mode for the StudioLive Series III Console mixers is currently in development. It will be supported in a future firmware update."

The question now is, "When?" Also, being a firmware update however, would suggest that this update would be "free".

Richard,

I guess this whole discussion could have been greatly simplified by asking the question, "Can the PreSonus StudioLive Series III be used as a control surface?" Apparently not ... yet!

However, it would appear that PreSonus does have plans to implement this functionality in the future. See here: StudioLive Series III DAW Mode Update

Here is the gist, "MCU and HUI DAW Control Mode for the StudioLive Series III Console mixers is currently in development. It will be supported in a future firmware update.The question now is, "When?" Also, being a firmware update however, would suggest that this update would be "free".
    No Dell, in fact it's the opposite. The question is: "Will SAWStudio recognize the Series III as an interface through USB". Using it as a control surface would be an added bonus (and a great one), but its value as an input device is foremost.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Blog Entries

Richard,

Okay...got it.

In asking the question, "Does the StudioLive Series III Console mixers support other daws?" ... the immediate answer would seem to "No!"

"Will the StudioLive Series III Console mixers ever support other daws?" ... again I would say no.

Here is what I was able to find out:

DAW Control is for StudioOne only!
    StudioLive Series III mixers allow you to record and playback audio over AVB on any Mac that supports AVB.

Apparently there are a lot of folks who purchased these mixers with the understanding that they do support DAW control. However, any and all documentation appears to state that this only with the StudioOne software.

Though there is a lot of discussion with regards to MCU and HUI integration, there is apparently nothing out there to suggest that using other DAWs is, or will be, possible. And it would appear, that there are many current owners who are not at all happy with this discovery.

Though there is a lot of discussion with regards to MCU and HUI integration, there is apparently nothing out there to suggest that using other DAWs is, or will be, possible. And it would appear, that there are many current owners who are not at all happy with this discovery.
    This seems self-contradictory to me. Such discussion is suggesting exactly that, isn't it? MCU and HUI emulation/integration is the ticket to control many DAWs, no?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Richard,

Okay...got it.

In asking the question, "Does the StudioLive Series III Console mixers support other daws?" ... the immediate answer would seem to "No!"

"Will the StudioLive Series III Console mixers ever support other daws?" ... again I would say no.

Here is what I was able to find out:

DAW Control is for StudioOne only!
    StudioLive Series III mixers allow you to record and playback audio over AVB on any Mac that supports AVB.

Apparently there are a lot of folks who purchased these mixers with the understanding that they do support DAW control. However, any and all documentation appears to state that this only with the StudioOne software.

You are probably correct in these conclusions Dell... particularly at this point in time. But since my originally posited question was "
    Has anyone used the StudioLIve Series III with SAWStudio as a record/mix USB interface? If so, how well does it work? (Is the PreSonus USB protocol compatible with SAW?)", I'll be happy if I can get audio in and out of the mixer via USB on all 32 channels as indicated in their literature. I haven't bought the mixer as of yet.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Hey Richard-
    Just a quick update. I am seeing StudioLive 16 in my audio driver options but had no success connecting SAW with it... until tonight. I haven't had a lot of time to mess with it but digging deeper I have successfully recorded into SAW via USB from the mixer. I haven't been able to establish the connection the other way. I am monitoring the recorded audio through the computer. So, I can say definitively that you can record to SAW from Series iii via USB. I don't know how many channels, etc. But I got it working and just messing around it sounded fine.

For context... the work I do involves remote recording so I use a Tascam portable and bring the audio into SAW via SD card. Haven't used an interface for recording in my workflow... so I'm a novice at setting things up. My computer monitoring though I have decent monitors leaves a lot to be desired. I'm in the market for a small quality interface that I can monitor with. Anyway, that should help explain why I'm not very in tune with using the Presonus as an interface. When I say I've tried everything I can think of, it's with minimal time and experience in view.

I would say that there's hope for some level of integration.

Here are some links that may be helpful.

https://answers.presonus.com/36584/s...-daws-well-so4
    https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopi...123700#p123700
    https://answers.presonus.com/25531/s...einberg-cubase

Hope this helps.
    Kent
    I love the story of Christmas - Matthew 1:18-24