Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone using Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3?

I have been considering buying the Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3 for a while, as part of a modular setup. I can use it in my studio and then take it out with a SAC/SAW rig, so I will have the same I/O across the board. Does anyone have any comments or experiences with this unit?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone using Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3?

dbarrow,

I did rent an Antelope Orion 32+ for a time - three months in fact. However, what I "really-and-truly" discovered is that considering what I refer to simply as "cost-to-output quality", what I was actually hearing was not all that much improved over the ADA-8200! More "bells-and-whittles" with the Antelope for sure - but is the extra cost for the bells-and-whistles really-and-truly worth that extra cost! I personally do not believe so.

In the end, due my hardware requirements, I opted for the Behringer UMC404HD - as all that I have ever required is four channels. THE UMC uses the same mic pre's as does the ADA - so this was a perfect choice for me.

Interestingly, I have an acquaintance who has been literally instrumental in assisting me with configuring SAC and when he last head me perform live, he was very surprised at what he was hearing. He has heard me perform with the Antelope as well, and he actually though that the USM sounded just as good - if not better. Granted, this whole scenario might be indeed a subjective one, but I did not ask him to comment - nor was I expecting one.

David, if you have not yet tested out an ADA, you really should give it a serious try. Even better...rent one!

PS: What was a real bonus...was that I got to take my best friend - who is also my wife, out to the Keg for dinner with the money that I saved!

Hope this helps?

Quote Originally Posted by dbarrow View Post
    I have been considering buying the Antelope Orion 32+ Gen3 for a while, as part of a modular setup. I can use it in my studio and then take it out with a SAC/SAW rig, so I will have the same I/O across the board. Does anyone have any comments or experiences with this unit?
    The biggest issue I could see with this is its not the full I/O just the AD/DA, which in todays world is really much less critical. So your still going to need Mic Pre's. If you go low priced your into the ADA8200s which already have converters that as has been stated don't sound that much different than the Antelope. (Not saying there isn't any difference just not one you'd likely notice unless your really using high-end studio monitors in a well treated room).

If you go higher end most of the multi-channel pre's also already have AD/DA built-in so again not sure how this helps.

The cost is not ridiculous at $2500, but what are you planning on doing for preamps?

For around 4500 total you could go Motu 8M and get 32-in/32-out, USB, Thunderbolt or ADAT connectivity, Audio over Ethernet for splits (future proof), decent quality Pre-amps with individual Phantom Power, Pads, real Channel metering, all in 4U of space.

Even getting to/from AVB on the MOTU to Dante has gotten cheaper (less than a grand in some cases), so future compatibility is reasonably well assured.

QUESTION: Wasn't this topic discussed here before? I'm pretty sure there was a thread about this a few months back.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Hello,

Oooopppsss...."My Bad!!'...I was using the Antelope Audio, Orion Studio Rev. 2017!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    dbarrow,

I did rent an Antelope Orion 32+ for a time - three months in fact. However, what I "really-and-truly" discovered is that considering what I refer to simply as "cost-to-output quality", what I was actually hearing was not all that much improved over the ADA-8200! More "bells-and-whittles" with the Antelope for sure - but is the extra cost for the bells-and-whistles really-and-truly worth that extra cost! I personally do not believe so.

In the end, due my hardware requirements, I opted for the Behringer UMC404HD - as all that I have ever required is four channels. THE UMC uses the same mic pre's as does the ADA - so this was a perfect choice for me.

Interestingly, I have an acquaintance who has been literally instrumental in assisting me with configuring SAC and when he last head me perform live, he was very surprised at what he was hearing. He has heard me perform with the Antelope as well, and he actually though that the USM sounded just as good - if not better. Granted, this whole scenario might be indeed a subjective one, but I did not ask him to comment - nor was I expecting one.

David, if you have not yet tested out an ADA, you really should give it a serious try. Even better...rent one!

PS: What was a real bonus...was that I got to take my best friend - who is also my wife, out to the Keg for dinner with the money that I saved!

Hope this helps?
    I have had 10+ ADA8000 units and I replaced all the ADA8000 units in my previous band's SAC rack with the newer ADA8200 units years ago, so I am intimately familiar with those. I have also used the ART TubeOpto-8 units. They completely suck. The died, due to the heat build up and being racked next to each other. The Behringer ADA8000's did that, too. I have a stack of those here that died. The 8200 has a much better power supply that runs cooler. What I use in my main rack is the Focusrite OptoPre Dynamic. I have only had one minor issue with those. I was interested in the Antelope Orion 32+, because I also have a bunch of good studio preamps: Neve, Phoenix, Summit, etc. Those definitely sound better than the Behringer units, but it boils down to whether I wold want to take those out on a gig or not. I may end up getting the Orion 32+ just for the studio to use with my good preamps and keep using the Focusrites for live stuff.

I was interested in experiences with the Orion 32+, regarding latency, etc.

Blog Entries

dbarrow,

Dave, not to disparage you in any way whatsoever, but ... but ... may I ask precisely "how and why" you assert that the Neve, Phoenix, Summit, etc ... "definitely sound better than the Behringer units".

Are such statements such as these more subjective than objective?

If I do appear to be "coming across" - shall I say, as hubristic, it is only because of your use of the term "definitely".

I would really appreciate a response to your use of "definitely sound better".

Have you recorded anything through a Neve Shelford channel before? Try it. I have used Behringer ADA8000 and ADA8200 units with SAC and SAW for over 10 years, as well as just about any other combination of I/O setups that you can imagine. I am looking for something that is modular to where I can use on interface for a variety of applications. I could just use what I have, but I have to switch around a bunch, reconfiguring different sets of boxes, bells and whistles for different recording applications, live shows, etc. What I have works just fine. I am just always looking for better, more flexible options.

Blog Entries

David,

Not really an answer to my question and I would still like a response.

Have you had a look-see at Philip's system?

See here...

PS: It appears that the images have disappeared!

Link URLs changed, but I've fixed.

That post was from my previous configuration.

Here is a link to the current updated system with MOTU preamps http://www.sawstudiouser.com/forums/...959#post216959
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.