Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default OT: SP/dif utilization

Hi all,

I recently purchased a Behringer UMC 1820 interface for remote recording, and am very pleased with it. However, it has in addition to 8 inputs onboard, and 8 more inputs through ADAT, a SP/dif input. It would be great to somehow be able to use those SP/dif inputs, but I can't get that to happen. I bought this device: https://www.ramelectronics.net/pof830.aspx and connected it to this interface: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UCA222 thinking I could plug analog signals into the UCA and convert them to SP/dif to go into the UMC 1820.
    I do see the red toslink light coming from the UCA into the pof830, but there's no audio coming into the SP/dif rca connector on the UMC. The SP/dif input and output are listed in the audio device setup in SAW, but there's no signal coming in when I assign them in the software. Here is a link to the UMC 1820 https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UMC1820.

Has anybody any idea as to how I can use these inputs along with the other 16? And it's not necessary to figure it out using the devices I've already got; any solution is welcome. Of course, the less costly the better. I have an old DAT machine lying around that has SP/dif, and was even wondering it there would be some way to use that. Probably not.

TIA
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Default Re: OT: SP/dif utilization

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    ...Has anybody any idea as to how I can use these inputs along with the other 16? And it's not necessary to figure it out using the devices I've already got; any solution is welcome. Of course, the less costly the better. I have an old DAT machine lying around that has SP/dif, and was even wondering it there would be some way to use that. Probably not.

TIA
    I don't see how you can add the spdif 2 channels on top of the 16 (8 internal, plus 8 adat). The umc looks as though it is designed to use adat OR spdif - not both at the same time. I haven't read the manual, but the front panel button says it all, in my opinion. Does the manual claim that adat and spdif are both available at once?

Blog Entries

Richard,

It looks as if you CAN use both..."With support for S/PDIF, ADAT, and S/MUX digital formats, the U-PHORIA UMC1820 lets you use all three signals simultaneously, allowing for plenty of expansion."

Also, notice how the INS and OUTS are numbered:

Analogue IN's 1-8, SPDIF IN 's 9-10, ADAT/SPDIF/MUX IN 's11-18
    Analogue OUT's 1-10, SPDIF OUT's 11-12, ADAT/SPDIF/MUX OUT's 13-20

These IN's and OUT's should be displayed in Options > Audio Device Setup as 18 IN's and 20 OUT's.

Can you test out the SPDIF IN's and OUT's on their own - without the additional hardware?

Hope this helps?

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    I don't see how you can add the spdif 2 channels on top of the 16 (8 internal, plus 8 adat). The umc looks as though it is designed to use adat OR spdif - not both at the same time. I haven't read the manual, but the front panel button says it all, in my opinion. Does the manual claim that adat and spdif are both available at once?
    I had thought that initially also, but I'm now under the impression that the button relates to the OPTICAL (Toslink) input, choosing between SP/dif and ADAT. Unless I'm not reading this chart correctly (a strong possibility), depressing the OPT I/O switch would give access to 18 channels at up to 48k sample rate using the RCA SP/dif connectors.
    Name:  Behringer UMC 1820.JPG
Views: 198
Size:  38.7 KB
    Am I misunderstanding this?
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Richard,

It looks as if you CAN use both..."With support for S/PDIF, ADAT, and S/MUX digital formats, the U-PHORIA UMC1820 lets you use all three signals simultaneously, allowing for plenty of expansion."

Also, notice how the INS and OUTS are numbered:

Analogue IN's 1-8, SPDIF IN 's 9-10, ADAT/SPDIF/MUX IN 's11-18
    Analogue OUT's 1-10, SPDIF OUT's 11-12, ADAT/SPDIF/MUX OUT's 13-20

These IN's and OUT's should be displayed in Options > Audio Device Setup as 18 IN's and 20 OUT's.

Can you test out the SPDIF IN's and OUT's on their own - without the additional hardware?

Hope this helps?
    I have come to that conclusion as well; 18 inputs should be accessible. I don't have any RCA SP/dif source other than the combination I mentioned above. I just wonder if my workaround with the other two boxes mentioned in my first post would work somehow...
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    I had thought that initially also, but I'm now under the impression that the button relates to the OPTICAL (Toslink) input, choosing between SP/dif and ADAT. Unless I'm not reading this chart correctly (a strong possibility), depressing the OPT I/O switch would give access to 18 channels at up to 48k sample rate using the RCA SP/dif connectors.
    Name:  Behringer UMC 1820.JPG
Views: 198
Size:  38.7 KB
    Am I misunderstanding this?
    It appears that you are correct in your assumption.
    Not to take this OT, but why would anyone ever WANT to leave the button in the out position... or in other words, why have the button at all?

Quote Originally Posted by UpTilDawn View Post
    It appears that you are correct in your assumption.
    Not to take this OT, but why would anyone ever WANT to leave the button in the out position... or in other words, why have the button at all?
    I would guess that if you had a two-channel Toslink device you wanted to plug into the UMC, that would be the way to do it. You would sacrifice the extra ADAT 8 channel input option, but if you wanted to add something like the optical digital output of a CD player and needed only 8 other channels, you'd be good to go. As I say... just my guess.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Blog Entries

Richard,

May we ask what it is you are attempting to accomplish?

I just connected the UCA 222 and Toslink to SP/dif box to the UMC again. I fired up SAWStudio and assigned things properly. I've got a mic plugged into the UCA, and SAW in rec/ready mode. There's no deflection of the meter when I speak into the mic. HOWEVER, the UCA occasionally puts out a beep that I can hear with headphones plugged directly into the UCA, and when I hear the beep, the meter in SAW jumps to about -24 dB, so audio is coming out of the UAC through the Toslink to SP/dif box and through the UMC into SAW. Problem is, the mic audio is not coming through. The other problem obviously is that the UCA puts out the beep. I'm guessing that means the UCA isn't "happy" about something. The UAC is powered by the USB buss on the computer, so maybe the fact that it's not sync'd with the software is causing the problem. Obviously I can't have the UMC driver AND the UAC running at the same time; the UAC isn't even recognised in the Setup options in SAW when the UMC drivers are chosen.

Maybe I need a self-powered Analog to rca SP/dif converter to make this work. Does anyone know of such a device?

PS: I DID go directly through the UAC into SAW (NOT through the UMC) and it works fine.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Richard,

May we ask what it is you are attempting to accomplish?
    I'd like to have access to the additional 2 inputs. Evenutally my plan is to use SAC with SAW in my studio (currently using an analog board and Frontier Design converters). I have 17 mic lines coming from the studio, one of which I use as a room mic to hear talent when they're speaking to me. That would take 17 inputs on an interface... but I need a talkback as well, so that brings it to 18.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording