Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: 64 bit SAW/SAC Successful Hardware and OS Choices

Quote Originally Posted by Microstudio View Post
    My Mackie Onyx 1220i works great in Win7 64bit SAW64 sees all in I/O with no issues. I see no need to upgrade my DAW OS to Win10 yet.

John

I had just purchased a HP and a couple of different firewire cards I have tried a couple of incarnations of win10 and the legacy fw driver that should work - does not. I have an older toshiba laptop that happened to have 64bit win7 and a fw interface - this works fine with the Onyx (mine is an earlier version with the interface card). So don't upgrade.

Unfortunately, my new machine is crashing the win 7 install. I might try to install it on something else, add the drivers and move the drive to the new machine - what a bunch of BS we have to go through with these so called improvements in the OS....

John
    Last edited by jmh; 05-04-2019 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    John

I had just purchased a HP and a couple of different firewire cards I have tried a couple of incarnations of win10 and the legacy fw driver that should work - does not. I have an older toshiba laptop that happened to have 64bit win7 and a fw interface - this works fine with the Onyx (mine is an earlier version with the interface card). So don't upgrade.
    John
    As I recall (it's been several years...) there used to be two Firewire chips made by different manufacturers that were the core for all Firewire installations. One was by Texas Instruments - I don't remember the other manufacturer. Only one of those two (I don't remember which...) would work with a Fireface 800. The other didn't work at all. Is it possible that you have been trying to use the other one?

Every time I have hardware problems I recall the comment made by the head technician at the Computerland store where I started my career in computers. He said, "The miracle is that it works at all". There are a very large number of generalized layers of abstraction that go into transforming the billions of on/off switches into what we see on our screen. And, really, he was right: it's staggering that it works at all.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ludlow View Post
    As I recall (it's been several years...) there used to be two Firewire chips made by different manufacturers that were the core for all Firewire installations. One was by Texas Instruments - I don't remember the other manufacturer. Only one of those two (I don't remember which...) would work with a Fireface 800. The other didn't work at all. Is it possible that you have been trying to use the other one?

Every time I have hardware problems I recall the comment made by the head technician at the Computerland store where I started my career in computers. He said, "The miracle is that it works at all". There are a very large number of generalized layers of abstraction that go into transforming the billions of on/off switches into what we see on our screen. And, really, he was right: it's staggering that it works at all.
    I recall this as well. As I recall it was the Texas Instrument that worked. I'm fairly certain on that.

I also remember talking with Dirk at Soundscape way back when and as a tech guy he didn't have a lot good to say about Firewire, especially in terms of reliability. IN fact he made a remake along the lines of, "It's a wonder it works at all!". He explained some technical reasons that I have now forgotten, except that I remember he said there was a fairly strong chance that any time it was plugged in/turned on it might fail to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Wink0r View Post
    My LTSC download came as an ISO file. I found a Microsoft utility that converted it to an installable format. Download the ISO file to disk and then target your thumb drive with the MS utility.

The installer complained that it could not contact the enterprise server to pull the license key. There is an option to manually enter the key on that screen. That worked without problem. (You will get your license key in an email along with the download link.)

I put this on a computer that I will use as a lighting controller. It only has a Celeron processor at around 2 GHZ. The installation seemed to go fast even on the toy computer.
    I unpacked the ISO here manually and then it started fine from a usb thumb drive. You should be able to unpack that just by double clicking the file so it opens in a new window and then copying the parts out to the thumb drive.. sort of like opening a zip file without unzipping it. The installation was amazingly fast on a quad intel. I was also happy at the simplicity of it... Declining the Microsoft offer to use the 'Quick setup' I was able to say NO to a whole list of Big Brother options that I didn't want for a DAW.

And so far I am loving the WIN 10 ENTERPRISE 2016 LTSB. A LOT of stuff yet to install to get it all back up but it seems very smooth. I (so far) MUCH prefer it to plain Win 10.. for a DAW that is.. for certain. I appreciate the links and info that I found here on the forum that led me down this path!!!!

On the LTSB vrs LTSC issue.. I personally do not know. I did read that at one point LTSB became LTSC. But then too that Microsoft at some point abandoned the newer LTSC for specific reasons (that I didn't drill down too far on) and went back to the 2016 LTSB??? Yee Haa!

I read a number of things with various pros and cons raising questions for me. My issue was when each was dated as it seemed things changed... IN the end I didn't find a definitive answer to suit me personally so I decided to go with the 2016 LTSB that seemed a more sure bet. To be clear, I am NOT stating here which version someone should use... just what I decided to use.

That's my journey! May yours be a good one!

SO FART SO GOOD!!!
    Last edited by Perry; 05-05-2019 at 03:55 PM.