Close

Default vst graphics issue

This may or may not be a saw thing. On 64 bit W10 with SS32 I have been very pleased with the free VST Nova compressor. I bought the Nova-GE which has a few more features. Occasionally I have had the plugin graphics freeze or totally disappear within the saw frame if i click to disappear it, and reopen the plugin all I get is the vst frame (filled in I think with a dark background). If I save the session then open it the vst works normally.

I'm not positive but I think it may occur in sessions that have both Nova and Nova-GE in use, or maybe it is with more than one on a single channel.

Has anybody seen this type of thing?

Default Re: vst graphics issue

My only experience of it was caused by a screen-sharing program - Duet - interfering with the display of iZotope plug-ins. Similarly to you, I was getting the frame but no GUI. If you have anything like that running it might be worth removing it to see if that's where the issue lies.

Might it otherwise possibly be some confusion among the two types of Nova? Perhaps rename the standard one's dll to something like "old" and see if the GE version then behaves itself.

Quote Originally Posted by andy cross View Post
    My only experience of it was caused by a screen-sharing program - Duet - interfering with the display of iZotope plug-ins. Similarly to you, I was getting the frame but no GUI. If you have anything like that running it might be worth removing it to see if that's where the issue lies.

Might it otherwise possibly be some confusion among the two types of Nova? Perhaps rename the standard one's dll to something like "old" and see if the GE version then behaves itself.
    I have a pretty stock desktop - but with most of the
    'visual effects' turned off. I think it is more the multiple instances.

I'll try the rename - and maybe multiples like nova1, nova2... because I am inclined to use it on the same track again as you can get it to behave very differently depending on the settings such as a multiband, or if all of the band's compressor are turned off, kind of both an eq and a compressor. That was one of the motivations for getting novaGE - just to be able to tell them apart (The side-chain is nice to have too).

This is an intermittent thing - so I have not yet determined how it is caused.
    Last edited by jmh; 05-04-2021 at 04:09 PM.

It's probably memory related. I had a lot of these kinds of issues in SS32 until I started wrapping the 64bit versions of my plugins using j-bridge.
    Michael McInnis Productions

Blog Entries

Good day,

I sincerely believe that a number of these so-called "issues" may be "platform-specific" related.

For example, SynthEdit is a what I would refer to as "platform-specific" - meaning that many so-called developers are more-so put-ter-er-together-ers rather than being actual programmers - as I was when I put-together my Single Wave File Player for SAC. All that I did was to source-out the needed modules and put these together in a workable user interface.

JUCE is another of those "platform-specific" environments. I have purchased plugins that have been developed using JUCE and I have found these plugins to be somewhat problematic. So now I ask beforehand.

Just a thought…