Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Long time, no see...everything has changed...

Right around the time SawStudio got its low-latency engine, I was working on sound for a community theater musical production that was in rehearsal. I was already into using SawStudio to record such shows. I thought, why not try it for live mix? I did, and it worked so well that a week before showtime we decided to stick with it. The clarity of the mix was like having just wiped the dirt of the glass to see better. It was because of that experience that I later bought SAC. I ran PA and recording for several choir concerts using the SAC/SAW combo, never wishing for anything else.

For later concerts where I only needed to record, I ran SAW alone, and the most recent iteration of my road recording system uses a laptop running (ick) Windows 10. It worked as I needed, but I still wish I could downgrade the computer to Win7 pro 64 (not sure all drivers are available at that level).
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Blog Entries

Carey,

Most "corporate-grade" laptops - made by companies such as Dell and HP, can be downgraded to Windows 7 for an additional charge.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    I use both programs and started on SAW Studio.

For me I just found it a lot easier to work with SAC running as live low-latency console and using SAW Studio just as the multi-track recorder.

There are enough differences in the console operation particularly for somebody that doesn't work with SAW Studio regularly, that for my money its easier to work with the two connected programs.

Of coarse your mileage may vary.
    That is my experience as well. The only time I use Sawstudio independently is for mastering as the plugins are very CPU hungry.

I use both programs and started on SAW Studio.

For me I just found it a lot easier to work with SAC running as live low-latency console and using SAW Studio just as the multi-track recorder.

There are enough differences in the console operation particularly for somebody that doesn't work with SAW Studio regularly, that for my money its easier to work with the two connected programs.

Of coarse your mileage may vary.
    I like your answer and I'll tell you why. As it as already been purported here, I literally know almost nothing about SAW Studio. I purchased it because I thought I was going to be doing a decent amount of live recording. But then I come to figure out that I honestly hate post-processing. I also found that simply recording the Main output netted very good results. Look mom...no mixing necessary! Anyway.... Though it has been a while, I know SAC fairly well. I have been practicing connecting SAW to SAC and starting a recording session. I've done this like 10 times now over a period of several weeks. This has given me a really good feel for the situation I'm going to be thrust into. All this said.... I'm going to compose another post with concerns and questions.

Thanx a ton for your help.
    DF

http://soundaddy.com

Intel DG965OT Motherboard (11/17/08) - Intel P4 LGA-775 651 (Cedar Mill) 3.4GHz CPU
    2.0GB 800Mhz RAM - 40GB Intel X25-V SSD - 500GB SATA "Spinner"

RME HDSP 9652 (x2 - 1 spare) - Behringer ADA8000 (x5 - 2 spares)
    CM MotorMix (x3 - Host system) - Behringer BCF-2000 (Remote system)

Thanx a ton to everyone who has replied to this thread. Lots of good information here.

In a nutshell, I decided I'm going to do the SAW/SAC connection for a couple reasons:

1) I know SAC. I don't know SAW. I'm a tactile learner. So...unless I'm actually using SAW, I'll never really learn it. I've been playing with it at home, but with a single input device (microphone).

2) I decided that it would be prudent to be able to hear the individual channels and overall mix in my headphones (Solo bus). While I'm sure SAW has a solo bus, I'm very comfortable with the SAC solo bus system, which is already set up and ready to go.

3) I noticed that SAW doesn't seem to ADD any strain to the processor over using SAC alone. If it does, it's nominal. I have confirmed this in the Task Manager. For 24 channels, my rig uses roughly 50% CPU, 40% of that being SAC. The rest for other background processes. Opening SAW doesn't seem to add any more strain to the CPU. Recording 24 tracks doesn't seem to add any more strain to the CPU. This is a real testament to Bob's coding prowess.

I consider this job "mission critical." So every few days I start up my computer, start a SAC session, open the mix file, open the SAW, open the .edl file, arm the 24 tracks (in order!), hit the "Enter" key and we're off to the races. Spacebar to stop. Enter key to start where I left off.

I have successfully allowed the machine to record up to 3 hours of audio (iPod in 2 of the 24 tracks). I left it recording over night once (by accident), and that seemed to crash everything. Hopefully, that won't happen at the show.

I have tapped the channels post attenuator. Is this where I should tap them? So I have no digital gain control. Only the knobs on the ADA8000's and 8200. Because I have all 24 channel LED's right there, I'm confident I can keep record levels in the sweet spot.

NOW...I need some advice....

Should I do any digital gain manipulation? I THINK all the channel strips are set @ 0 gain. Is this the best setting?
    Does the SAC gain affect the recording? The faders have no effect, but I'm not sure if the Right-Click options do.

At this point, my work flow is as follows:

1) Open SAC.
    2) Open Mix Session for my gig this weekend.
    3) Open SAW.
    4) Open .edl file for my session this weekend.
    5) Arm the tracks in SAW.
    6) Hit the "Enter" key (record).

If I need to stop the recording, I hit the Spacebar. I hit "Enter" to start again.

Everything sound good? Anything glaring here or raising any flags?

Thanx again, for all your help. You guys are good bunch.

Regards,

DF
    DF

Intel DG965OT Motherboard (11/17/08) - Intel P4 LGA-775 651 (Cedar Mill) 3.4GHz CPU

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie Frank View Post

Should I do any digital gain manipulation? I THINK all the channel strips are set @ 0 gain. Is this the best setting?
    Does the SAC gain affect the recording? The faders have no effect, but I'm not sure if the Right-Click options do.
    DF
    If you leave the SAW Studio tap point at the default (which I believe is where you have it), I believe that SAW and SAC are effectively separate audio chains.

Either way, I would leave the gains set at their default 0 setting.

Adjust your channel gains from the ADA inputs and leave yourself some extra headroom for unexpected input/source volume changes.

If your recording at 24-bit resolution you really don't need to push the gains up as much. There is a lot of room to do post makeup gain later when doing the studio mix.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

If you leave the SAW Studio tap point at the default (which I believe is where you have it), I believe that SAW and SAC are effectively separate audio chains.

Either way, I would leave the gains set at their default 0 setting.

Adjust your channel gains from the ADA inputs and leave yourself some extra headroom for unexpected input/source volume changes.

If your recording at 24-bit resolution you really don't need to push the gains up as much. There is a lot of room to do post makeup gain later when doing the studio mix.
    This is exactly the information I was looking for. I'll double check to make sure I'm recording @ 24 bit. Is this the default setting?

Thanx again!

D
    DF

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie Frank View Post
    This is exactly the information I was looking for. I'll double check to make sure I'm recording @ 24 bit. Is this the default setting?

Thanx again!

D
    I don't believe so, but if you follow the directions I listed at the beginning of this thread, that is one of the settings I specifically list.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Blog Entries

Donnie,
    Is this [24-bit] the default setting?
    ...No. I believe the default is 16-bit.

Set to 24-bit and save default preferences.

Hey Doods!

So tonight was set up and sound check. Of course, I recorded everything. I got home, loaded the .wav files into Sony Vegas Pro 13 (I had video, too), and man...the tracks sound AWESOME. I forgot to set SAC to 24-bit. I'll do that tomorrow. But honestly, I don't think I have to. Everything sounds great and I'm afraid to change anything...LOL.... All the levels are really good. I think the client is going to be pleased. Speaking of which....

So the guy in charge of the show, Carl, walks up to me and asks, "So what are you using to record tonight? ProTools?" I replied, "No. I'm using a thing called Software Audio Console." He lights up and says, "SAC?! I'm good friends with Bob Lentini!" He goes on to tell me about shows he's done with Bob, etc. Needless to say, Carl was VERY pleased. Carl is from Las Vegas and performs there regularly, so it's easy to see why he knows Bob. He took some cell phone video of my rig and sent it to Bob. Not sure if Bob got it or not. Anyway....

The show is tomorrow night. I'm very confident the client will be happy with the audio tracks.

Thanx again for all the help you guys have given. I really appreciate it.

DF

P.S. I really like having SAC as the front end, mostly because of the Solo Bus. But also because they asked for a 2-track recording. I've got the Tape-It plugin, but I don't want to chance that Tape-It is going to sabotage my other .wav files, so I'm going to hook a DR-40 to the SAC Main outputs.

Any thoughts on the Tape-It plugin? I'm already recording 24 tracks? Will the Tape-It plugin running on the Main Out in SAC screw with the .wav files being recorded via SAW?
    Last edited by Donnie Frank; 09-14-2017 at 09:33 PM.
    DF