Close

Page 17 of 23 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Default Re: SAWStudio (and Plugins) 64 Bit Bug Reports!

I tried SAWStudio64 and I seem to be having problems with running it.

I tried both ASIO and HiPerf MME with various buffer sizes both hitting play with a blank timeline and activating Live mode... Doing this while watching Task Manager, I see one CPU climb after about 5-10s of timeline playback and max out that core. It stays pinned and never goes away. Trying to stop the playback in SAW (or deactivating Live Mode) causes a Forced Engine Shutdown. SAW will not close and must be shut down forcefully. Once that's done, the pinned core in TM settles down again and SAW can be restarted. Any playback however causes the same thing.

This is on Win7 Pro SP1, HP Z600 (dual x5550 cpu's - 8 cores displayed in TM - Hyperthreading disabled in BIOS), plenty of RAM with RME RayDat PCIe card.

I plan to try again after updating the driver for the RayDat. I may also try running Win7 updates if the driver doesn't help.

Since no one else seems to be reporting this behaviour I am wondering if it's something unique to my Win7 tweaks or this system.

I should mention, this is without any actual audio data flowing. The RAYDAT is connected to and clocked from another card via ADAT but there is no audio flowing and the timeline in SAW is blank. Samplerate (actual and session setting) is 48kHz. Mentioning this in case it's a problem with 'zero' data values.
    Last edited by Naturally Digital; 06-07-2019 at 11:54 AM.

Make sure to set the desktop icon to Run As Administrator Compatibility... then make sure your RME card has clock... I would suggest you make it the master clock and also make sure to hook up at least one adat interface... only include those device chans in the audio device setup... use ASIO mode... and perhaps just place a wav file on one track so there is something to play.

See if that helps.

Bob L

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Make sure to set the desktop icon to Run As Administrator Compatibility... then make sure your RME card has clock... I would suggest you make it the master clock and also make sure to hook up at least one adat interface... only include those device chans in the audio device setup... use ASIO mode... and perhaps just place a wav file on one track so there is something to play.
    I tried this approach and I'm still getting the same results. In fact with a wav file on the timeline, the playhead moves and the TC window tracks, but there is no audio playing - the meters in SAW inidicate no audio and totalmix doesn't show audio activity. I tried playing from the Soundfile view and again, the playhead moves but no audio flows, core maxes out and the program is unresponsive - when asked to stop playback, it does a forcing engine shutdown.

Next I'll try the driver upgrade (this driver is from 2017) and then Windows updates (offline - using Windows Convenience rollup) if the driver doesn't help.

Many of us are using one form or another of RME cards and this is definitely not the norm... something must not be happy with the driver install.
    Make sure you are doing a fresh install of SAWStudio64 and then creating new preferences... do not try to copy old folders and pref files.

Bob L

Default Re: SAWStudio (and Plugins) 64 Bit Bug Reports! (Delete old ASIO entries!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    Many of us are using one form or another of RME cards and this is definitely not the norm... something must not be happy with the driver install.
    Make sure you are doing a fresh install of SAWStudio64 and then creating new preferences... do not try to copy old folders and pref files.
    There was a leftover entry from a previous Lynx card in the ASIO device list. I'd uninstalled the card and the driver, using the Lynx uninstaller IIRC. This was back before I installed the RME.

So, before changing anything else, I went into the Windows Registry and deleted the Lynx entry as per these instructions:

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/e...device-entries

Rebooted and things are still not right. It works briefly then once core 1 is maxed out, SAW hangs.
    Last edited by Naturally Digital; 06-07-2019 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naturally Digital View Post
    Rebooted and voila! SAWStudio64 is now working as intended. Problem solved.
    Hang on! Something's still not right. It works fine the first attempt after a reboot, then has all the mentioned symptoms. Now to reinstall RME driver...
    Last edited by Naturally Digital; 06-07-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Hang on! Something's still not right. It works fine the first attempt after a reboot, then has all the mentioned symptoms. Now to reinstall RME driver...
    I updated firmware on the RayDat, it went from v13 to v16. Installed the latest driver. I'm still having the same problem. I can get it to reset by reassigning the RME ASIO driver in SAW. It then plays/works for the first few attempts, then locks up when the cpu core maxes out.

Aside from the Lynx install and two different RME cards, this OS install is still quite clean and fresh. I haven't installed any serious applications until now.

Before I do anything else, maybe I'll try SAWStudio64 on a different machine.
    Last edited by Naturally Digital; 06-07-2019 at 04:37 PM.

Before I do anything else, maybe I'll try SAWStudio64 on a different machine.
    I tried it on an HP Z400 Win7 Pro 64 with a Lynx AES 16e and to my surprise, it's doing the same thing.

Maybe I should download the installer again.
    Last edited by Naturally Digital; 06-07-2019 at 04:42 PM.

Default Re: SAWStudio (and Plugins) 64 Bit Bug Reports! (Crashes on first play)

Maybe I should download the installer again.
    Downloading the installer again (and trying it) made no difference.

I tried a third machine. HP xw4600 w/Q9550 4GB Win7 64 Pro. It has 2 x LynxTwo-C, 1 x LynxTwo-B. I installed the latest v23j driver for the Lynx cards.

This time I ran a Win7 update rollup https://www.howtogeek.com/255435/how...nience-rollup/ to make sure I was at least somewhat up-to-date with Win7 updates and fixes as these machines don't see the internet.

I installed SAWStudio64, set it up for 48khz 24 bit, dither on - type 1, non-corr, random. Set driver to ASIO and left the default assignments alone. Buffer size = 256. Saved preferences as Default. Saved a session as TEST_1 in the Audio folder inside the SAWStudio64 folder.

I then insert an audio file to the MT, in this case a 44.1khz wav file, and hit play. In Task manager I can watch the CPU (always core 1 - second core in TM) climb and when that core maxes out, SAW becomes unresponsive. I have to kill the sawstudio64.exe process in TM to get SAW to close.

Other audio applications, including SAWStudio32, are all running normal on these machines. I'm at a loss.
    Last edited by Naturally Digital; 06-08-2019 at 05:29 PM.

It seems like SAW64 doesn’t like the 64bit driver of your card. Not sure what to suggest.
    Michael McInnis Productions