Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: GOTCHA!- Disable [Ctrl-Left-Clicking] on any track number arranges all tracks

Quote Originally Posted by ivanoff View Post
    Oups, mistake in my reply , ctrl + > is correct
    ctrl-> is 'redo'

This can be confusing. Once the number of undos is passed, the .uXX numbers get recycled. Once those numbers wrap, ctrl> can jump the undo depth back in history (I think under a certain condition). I think when it gets me is if I forget and unpatch a plugin during playback - which can cause a crash. Which might get the u00 file out of sync. Also if you do edits then exit without saving, I think you might re-open in a confusing place (undoly speaking).

Windows menus sorts by the creation time - but it is the modification time - that we want to utilize.

Default Re: GOTCHA!- Disable [Ctrl-Left-Clicking] on any track number arranges all tracks

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    Also if you do edits then exit without saving, I think you might re-open in a confusing place (undoly speaking).
    You would re-open to the same place as last time you opened that EDL. But the sure-you-don't-wanna-save? prompt should preclude such shenanigans.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Hmmm, yeah, I've ensured OPTION > Auto EDL Undo is checked

the undo does work for me

I will have SAW open for hours and sometimes, it just gets flakey...whether plugs or windows auto stuff...I dunno

I would much rather disable the re-order function

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    I bet your one time of trying it (the undo) you goofed, somehow.
    uh...I don't think I did goofed pressing ctrl<
    ...I use SAW A LOT...you know, like a day job in post ;-P

as I said previously, sometimes SAW gets flakey IME
    I find it wise to shut SAW down if I leave my workstation for more than 30 min

I also have daily crashes...typically one only per day; which is one more than I'm comfortable with
    ...and ONLY using SAW...maybe it's just using SAW is my main computer usage...
    so the crash happens regardless
    and just so happens SAW is running...as it's my most oft used program

The daily crash is an issue with APC PowerChute...the previous offline version would crash daily around 2100
    and now the latest online APC PowerChute Serial also seems to crash daily
    seems to be a UPS "health" check which says "cannot connect to APC UPS" or some syntax to that effect
    creates a BSOD

I did save an EDL last week when this happened when I noticed my mouse freeze
    and that save corrupted my EDL. Fortunately, I always save a safety version which
    saved my backside. I should think a SAW undo file would work too.

Blog Entries

Good day,

Many years ago now, some thirty-six to be exact, we home-schooled all of our seven children. Both of us shared in the various "instructional duties" - one of my responsibilities being "computing".

One of the topics was entitled, "Proactive vs Reactive", wherein I introduced them to the concept of "SOS" - that is, "Save Often Save".
    * Back then, the primary backup medium was "floppy disks" - so each one was given a disk as their own backup medium.
    * They also learnt about "redundancy" and "versioning".
    * It is nice to observe that they still employ these practices even to this day!

Anyhow, with regards to versioning, I consider data from three perspectives, 1) Pre, 2) During and 3) Post. The most significant of these perspective is the second.

During this process, I consider changes or updates to that data as being either "minor" or "major". The most significant of these changes is the major changes. Major changes are simply those wherein whatever it is that I am currently doing, if this activity is something that I am not accustomed to - I then consider this skill-set as being "new".

I always begin a new "project" with a specific data template [Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SAC, SAW...whatever].
    * This data is named ~Master.ext"
    * I Make a copy of this data and then rename that data as "Working" - moving that data to the particular project folder.

Prior to deployment of this new skill, I create a backup of the Working data - assigning a version number to that backup - much in the same way that a programmer creates various versions of a particular software application. I then develop that new skill-set and when completed, I can make a copy of the version data, and rename that version to Working...and then continue on from there.
    * I also keep a text file noting any-and-all changes that I have summarily made.

Very simply, any "known" skill is continued...any "unknown" skill is backed-up prior to implementing that new skill!

I hope that some will find this information to be of some practicable use?

Look in scheduled tasks, startup and services for anything related to powerchute. See if that program has a automated updater - you could try turning that off. Also if you don't find any leads, and start from a cold boot every day, perhaps you could schedule whatever task it runs to do so on boot. Perhaps that will satisfy it for the next 24 hours?

Blog Entries

Todd,

[YC: Your comment, MC: My comment]

YC: "...I use SAW A LOT...you know, like a day job in post"
    MC: Though I am NOT an audio engineer, I also employ SAW a lot...especially with Kontakt.

YC: as I said previously, sometimes SAW gets flakey IME....I find it wise to shut SAW down if I leave my workstation for more than 30 min
    MC: There simply has to something going on for this to occur.

YC: I also have daily crashes...typically one only per day; which is one more than I'm comfortable with..
    MC: See above...this is incredible!!

YC: The daily crash is an issue with APC PowerChute...the previous offline version would crash daily around 2100
    MC: Why use this software at all...especially in a production system?

Other comments...
    I employ two systems, my "office system", and my "Live Rig" system.
    * The office system is a i5, 2nd GEN..meaning that this system is some 12 years old!!!
    * There are times, that after working on a Saw|Kontakt project of say 2 some hours, I will then perform some Internet-related activities - returning back to the previous project. "No issues!"
    * I have been doing so for years!!

Again Todd, there simply has to be something else going on to cause these issues?
    * What system specs, what OS, what TSR's?

Now that I think of it the apc is to prevent crashes. You could try removing the management software entirely - if that remedies the daily crashes, it seems it would be a vast improvement from the unlikely time when you are in the middle of something, not at the workstation and the power has gone out.

It's certainly possible that that one time it was not user error.

Isn't the larger point (thankfully) that the undo for the track re-order feature actually generally works (i.e. except for that one unlucky time, pretty much always)?

I do hate those hard-to-pin-down crashes. Hope you can get it sussed.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts