Close

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Default Re: Behringer UMC 404HD

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    44.1 is only important if you need 44.1 compatibility with someone/something. BTW, doubling 48 gives you 96, which is another popular sample rate.

Is not improved latency more important to live sound than it is to recorded sound?
    Hey dave, yes this is true. In mr_es335's case he is using SAC and SAW together for live performances so the decreased latency would be beneficial.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by cgrafx View Post
    Hey dave, yes this is true. In mr_es335's case he is using SAC and SAW together for live performances so the decreased latency would be beneficial.
    That's what I was thinking, Phillip. Thanks for the corroboration.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave and Philip,

When I was using the ADA-8200 and the RME card at 44.1, I was not having any issues whatsoever...so I really do not see the overall benefit of going to 48khz?!

If the UMC is stuck at 48khz, then I will have no alternative but to go that route - it is just that I would really prefer not to.

Mike Scuffham, developer of the S-Gear amp sim has stated numerous times that any latency between 5ms-10ms is more than acceptable for electric guitars.
    At 44.1 I am getting 5.40, and at 48, I get 5.17...so there is really not a whole lot of difference here - at least as far as I am able to ascertain.

I hope this makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Dave and Philip,

When I was using the ADA-8200 and the RME card at 44.1, I was not having any issues whatsoever...so I really do not see the overall benefit of going to 48khz?!

If the UMC is stuck at 48khz, then I will have no alternative but to go that route - it is just that I would really prefer not to.

Mike Scuffham, developer of the S-Gear amp sim has stated numerous times that any latency between 5ms-10ms is more than acceptable for electric guitars.
    At 44.1 I am getting 5.40, and at 48, I get 5.17...so there is really not a whole lot of difference here - at least as far as I am able to ascertain.

I hope this makes sense?
    Yes the latency difference is not going to be huge, it was only a small added benefit to the higher sampling rate.

The issue you have is the UMC defaults to 48kHz and doesn't seem to have a way to change that.

You can't compare the RME card to the UMC, they are two completely different interface technologies and the RME doesn't have the same default master/slave issues as the UMC.

Given your current setup there is no rational reason to stay at 44.1 and moving to 48 will eliminate your startup issues.

Or you could try switching to a different interface that has driver support to run in slave mode and allow SAC/SAW to control the sample rate.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Dell,

As I've mentioned, I have the Behringer UMC 1820 and the sample rate and bit depth are determined by the audio software (SAC or SAW). I would think your device would operate in the same way.

I open SAC and plug in the UMC. Since my preferences in SAC are set to 44.1k, 16 bits, that's the sample rate and resolution that comes up. I then go "live" with SAC. I often get a dialog box saying "Trouble Opening Output Device". In that case, I go to the Options menu, select "Audio Driver Module" and choose the "Asio Protocol" and "UMC Asio driver". Now you can go Live with SAC.

You can then go to the UMC settings applet (which should be in your system tray on the right along with other icons) and set the Buffer parameters. They will hold and be reflected in your SAC Audio Device Setup in the Options menu.

All the settings should hold if you don't make any changes. I'm not sure why I get the "Trouble Opening Output Device" (and I don't always), but the settings are all fine once I choose the UMC Asio driver.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Dave and Philip,

The main benefit is that you don't get that annoying prompt when the hardware resets to 48 KHz. It's a workaround, but it may be the only way. It appears to be the best solution available to you if your objective is to avoid the prompt.

Right. Your call.

Same reason we guitarists can stand 10 feet from an amp without complaint. Or maybe we've just gotten used to it.

I hope this makes sense?
    Sounds right to me; since (48 - 44.1)/44.1 is 8.8 percent, I'd expect the latency to decrease by about that amount. Though I'd be interested to know why it doesn't quite get there. (5.17 ms vs. 4.9 ms). I suppose there's some fixed "hardware latency" that's unavoidable.
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 11-06-2018 at 09:28 AM.
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Richard and Dave,

All the settings should hold if you don't make any changes. I'm not sure why I get the "Trouble Opening Output Device" (and I don't always), but the settings are all fine once I choose the UMC Asio driver.
    ...Richard, I do find it absolutely amazing that a round wheel is really not round - but rather, very slightly ovular!

Presonus, RME, Focusrite and Tascam - at least these are the USB interfaces that I recently tested, all - but Behringer, permit the saving of your own personal configuration. So, why does Behringer not allow for the same? I just do not get it!

So, Dave, I have now configured everything for 48khz...and will continue to work from there. The SWFP plug-in that I created sometime ago does not work with 48khz wave files, so I had to look for another that does. I re-discovered "Trimin" by footfoot labs - now defunct.

So, Richard, why not go the 48khz route as I have done. This will solve all of your current issues.

By-the-way, to rectify the 44.1khz issues, the workaround that I had used was to launch a small audio app that would then reset the UMC to 44.1khz. Then, when you launch SAC/SAW, it sees the UMC at 44.1khz.
    Note: However, my "a**l-retentive nature simply does not permit me to use workarounds - so this solution was a temporary one.

Thanks to one-and-all for your continued support. Gosh...when will someone invent virtual lunches or virtual liquid sustenances?

The SWFP plug-in that I created sometime ago does not work with 48khz wave files, so I had to look for another that does.
    Single White Female... what?

Hey, if you created it, can't you re-recreate it to work at 48 kHz? Seriously...
    Becket, Massachusetts

Blog Entries

Dave,
    Single White Female... what?
    Nope, Simple Wave File Player...

Attachment 2852

Hey, if you created it, can't you re-recreate it to work at 48 kHz? Seriously...
    ...It has been years since I "created" that plug-in. So, it is really just a matter of having no time at the moment.

PS: SWFP has four letters, for Single White Female - which is only three letters...what would you have for the last letter? Heh...Heh!!
    Last edited by mr_es335; 11-06-2018 at 01:01 PM.

PS: SWFP has four letters, for Single White Female - which is only three letters...what would you have for the last letter? Heh...Heh!!
    I had something in mind, but decorum precluded revealing it, here.
    Becket, Massachusetts