Close

Default Remote sessikon methods?

Until the current pandemic put us all in "shelter in place" mode, I was visiting a friend once a week to help him with his music in his home studio. He's been getting a bit restive about the forced hiatus. Today he got excited about the idea of working sessions together remotely, and emailed me with links to a couple of subscription services for that. One is called Sessionwire, and the other is Audiomovers.

Has anyone here used either or both of these services? I would like some guidance on how they work, and whether either or both is a good value. I am also curious to know if there are other, perhaps better, competing services or methods for this, with the idea being about to allow us to work as much as possible as though we were in the same room together.

Any advice about this would be appreciated.
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Blog Entries

Default Re: Remote sessikon methods?

Cary,

There is also "Jamulus"

It might be worth a look...

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Cary,

There is also "Jamulus"

It might be worth a look...
    Have you used it? Do you know if it could be interfaced with a DAW to live stream a mix?
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Blog Entries

Cary,
    Have you used it? Do you know if it could be interfaced with a DAW to live stream a mix?
    ... No...Jamulus is something that I heard about on the Guitar Rig forum.

I demoed the listento plugin from Audiomovers. Seems to work really well in SAWStudio. You need a healthy upload speed, which I don't have. Though the other person connected with ease, the audio stopped too often to be useful. I would think with a decent upload speed, it should work very well.

I may try the others mentioned here.
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

Cary,

I've seen a couple mentions online of CleanFeed. I haven't used it (or heard it, except in a YouTube video), but it looks interesting.

https://www.prosoundweb.com/remote-q...-the-internet/

I still think most of these services aren't worth recording, but provide a much better than telephone monitoring option. If I were collaborating, I'd send tracks and mixes back and forth as wav files via FTP. Slower, I know, but you avoid all those cascading codecs.

Let us know what you try and how it goes.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Using the AudioMover plug called listento. Works in SAW, Reaper, and Samplitide4.
    Clients happy enough that i haven't looked elsewhere. Simple on my end.