Close

Default antelope audio orion 32

I'm bringing my laptop to someone else's place with an orion 32. Should I expect this to work nicely?

Blog Entries

Default Re: antelope audio orion 32

jmh,

I guess the most important thing to consider is connectivity?

Also, is this a "on off" situation? If so, I would then suggest imaging the system first.

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    I'm bringing my laptop to someone else's place with an orion 32. Should I expect this to work nicely?
    Why risk hassles? You could bring your own converter and feed the Antelope digital.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ludlow View Post
    Why risk hassles? You could bring your own converter and feed the Antelope digital.
    Actually, I didn't state my question clearly. They have an orion 32 as their converter. So my question should have been asking if the orion driver works nicely with studio?

To your point, I have not looked at the features of the antelope - and I will to consider the various possibilities - but I do know it has a usb interface - as does my laptop.

Why not just take a thumb drive or external hard drive and get all the tracks at the end of the session? Most of the time, installing drivers and connecting new gear goes reasonably well, but every now and then, there are roadblocks. I don't have experience with antelope hardware, but unless you can go visit a few days prior to the session and work out any issues, I'd let the host record.

Either way, I hope it goes well.
    Ian Alexander
    VO Talent/Audio Producer
    www.IanAlexander.com

Actually, I didn't state my question clearly. They have an orion 32 as their converter. So my question should have been asking if the orion driver works nicely with studio?

To your point, I have not looked at the features of the antelope - and I will to consider the various possibilities - but I do know it has a usb interface - as does my laptop.
    No, I think I got you. And I don't know whether SAW can be made to work flawlessly with an Orion 32 or not. Maybe someone can tell you that it can. And I'm not answering your question directly - so maybe I'm out of line. Or, maybe I don't understand what you're trying to accomplish (in which case my suggestion is moot). If so - sorry.

Let me ask you: how long did it take you to get SAW, your computer, and your converter working flawlessly together the first time? If it wasn't immediate, your experience was not unique.

I suspect that the chance that something would go wrong, perhaps under the surface where it will seem inexplicable for a while, is at least greater than zero, although maybe it could eventually be worked out. And I presume that studio time and money will be involved, and some pressure to limit that to as little as possible - all while you are not doing what you came there to accomplish. Why not bring a rig that you already know is flawless - and then interface digitally between your converter and theirs, where the chances of something going wrong are smaller? An Orion 32 has ADAT, MADI, SPDIF and analog inputs. If your rig can interface digitally with theirs - it seems like that would eliminate a lot of potential bug tracking.

I think you want to test this in advance. Schedule a setup session and test it fully. If you'll be multitracking then test as many tracks as you'll need to record - and then some. If there's monitoring required, figure out whether you'll use the Orion's built in monitoring/mixing or SAW/SAC. Get that all out of the way and make sure it's reliable. Avoid doing this the day of the session if possible.

Give yourselves that peace of mind in advance and you'll go into the session much more relaxed.

I've never tried Antelope products myself and I'm not aware of anyone mentioning them here on the forum. There may be someone lurking...

My point is you may not get an answer in time.