Close

1. Default 64 bit SAWStudio AMD RYZEN 16 or 32 core Question

hi

we are curious about something, AMD ryzen has made a tremendous attack this year and great processors released. example ryzen 1800X 8 core or AMD ryzen threadripper 2950X 16core or ryzen 2990WX 32 core / 32 HT , also next year will come 3rd generation and 4th generation ryzen processors are developing future multi-cores 16 or 32 or 64 core.

because new 64 bit processors are developing on multi-core.

my question is,

SAWStudio 64 bit version, How many cores will it support ? 8 or 16 o 32 for example, will support 16 cores ?

thank you

Default Re: 64 bit SAWStudio AMD RYZEN 16 or 32 core Question

Quote Originally Posted by 80bit View Post
    hi

we are curious about something, AMD ryzen has made a tremendous attack this year and great processors released. example ryzen 1800X 8 core or AMD ryzen threadripper 2950X 16core or ryzen 2990WX 32 core / 32 HT , also next year will come 3rd generation and 4th generation ryzen processors are developing future multi-cores 16 or 32 or 64 core.

because new 64 bit processors are developing on multi-core.

my question is,

SAWStudio 64 bit version, How many cores will it support ? 8 or 16 o 32 for example, will support 16 cores ?

thank you
    My understanding is that SAW has always been coded to use a single core. Many of us actually disable hyperthreading and/or force a single CPU either outside or inside of SAW in order to optimize performance. I think that's why many SAW users go with an i3 or i5, rather than an i7 machine. You can use the money saved on cores you won't use for additional RAM or another UAD plugin.

It would be very cool if that changed with the x64 update, but Bob hasn't said anything to that effect so far as I know. Maybe he'll surpise us.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Fewer cores, but fastest cpu speed seems to be best in SAW land.

I am pretty sure, at one point at least, SAW was using two cores, but if you think about the interdependencies between tracks, such as gating from another channel, and the copiling of sub masters into the master, there is more going on serially than in parallel and multiple cores would be sitting there waiting for these serial processes to finish.
    Michael McInnis Productions

SAWStudio and SAC have always been coded to access all cores... two being specifically intertwined in priority threading for maximium engine performance... but the other cores have always been there for plugins and other programs to use... its just that, in most cases, you can achieve better and more stable performance using just the two cores threaded directly by the engine.

The 64 bit works the same way... although now you have access to all the available ram so vsti synths can load huge sample libraries without interfering with engine performance.

Bob L

Doing a buildmix yesterday I did see all cores playing a part. Some more than others. At least one at full capacity. Some under 10 percent. Others in between. I do have the force one CPU option enabled in SAW, so this surprised me. Maybe it's the plugins going outside the first core, per Bob's comment?
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts