Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SAWBasic and Best Audio Interface

I would like more of a selection when it comes to audio interfaces. 8 in 8 out stereo - very low latency and of course pairs well with SAW.
    Ken S

Blog Entries

Default Re: SAWBasic and Best Audio Interface

Ken,

My apologies...not really understanding the question?

You stated, "...8 in 8 out stereo - very low latency and of course pairs well with SAW"... there are quite a number out there...it might help to provide more information.

The M-Audio Delta 1010 that I used on the old computer running Windows 7 is not supported anymore. I'm getting a new computer running Widows 10. What are some of the best audio interfaces folks are using with SAWBasic?
    I'm currently looking at a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20!
    Ken S

Quote Originally Posted by Ken S View Post
    The M-Audio Delta 1010 that I used on the old computer running Windows 7 is not supported anymore. I'm getting a new computer running Widows 10. What are some of the best audio interfaces folks are using with SAWBasic?
    I'm currently looking at a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20!
    Well, we still have little to go on..... Is your new computer a desktop (some form that accepts pci-based cards), or a laptop (or deskptop that you must use USB-based interfaces with)? Maybe that's a silly question today - but some people still prefer to work with pci-based cards.

Also, price range can be a big factor - what's your budget limits?
    Or do we assume that the Focusrite is the price point you must shoot for?

For low cost, the newer Behringer USB Uphoria units are working very nicely.

Bob L

I have a new computer. It’s another desktop Core i7 running Win 10 with 4TB hard drive. I would like the audio interface connect via USB as an exterior unit - not as a card in the computer. My price point is around $500.00 give or take. I’m much more a player than any kind of Tech. My Tech friends say I know just enough to be dangerous! I just want lots of audio interface options! Thanks for your recommendation, Bob!
    Ken S

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    For low cost, the newer Behringer USB Uphoria units are working very nicely.

Bob L
    This would be my recommendation as well. I have this model, and it works extremely well: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    And if you run out of inputs/outputs at 8, you can add another 8 through ADAT by attaching something like the ADA8200 for very little additional funds.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Blog Entries

Ken,

I have two of the Behringer units, the UMC404HD and the UMC204HD and both are working very, very well! The one Richard mentioned is the "bigger brother" to those units.

Installation is simple, drivers are stable, price point is great...so you really cannot go wrong with these units at all.

What version and build of Windows 10 are you using? I would suggest using a smaller SSD for both and leave the 4TB for data. Windows 10 prefers SSD's for booting.
    Last edited by mr_es335; 10-02-2019 at 06:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    Windows 10 prefers SSD's for booting.
    I haven't been aware of any such "preference". Any OS will boot faster from an SSD. Both of my recording machines are set up that way. My laptop has an SSD for everything because I didn't want to take a chance of an accidental bump disrupting a recording. My studio short tower has an SSD for boot and spinners for data. I do like having shorter boot times and not needing to wait as long for the system to "settle" (the desktop showing up is not the end of process loading, although usually at that point you can start doing things).
    Cary B. Cornett
    aka "Puzzler"
    www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com

Blog Entries

Cary,

Check out "trim".

From what I understand - at least from ADATA, WD and Kingston, Windows 7 never provided a trim feature for SSD's - with trim being a "built-in" functionality of Windows 10. Samsung recommends using their software for trimming SSD's in Windows 7 - but which is not required in Windows 10. Thus my use of the term "prefers".

By-the-way, I am seeing more-and-more shops asking whether or not I am requiring the normal versus the M.2 form factor for the SSD's. Thus, SSD's are becoming more of the norm now. As a result, if I am configuring an older system for a client, I will recommend the use of an SSD when installing Windows 10 - at least for the boot drive.