Close

Default OT: A post of appreciation

I have been spending a considerable amount of time learning/creating the best techniques for using SAC as a front end to SAW for multi-track recording, overdubbing and mixing. My ultimate intent is to eliminate my huge studio console and replace it with this setup.

So far, I've got three scenes set up to accomplish my goal. I've been tinkering with it in the house with my laptop, but will soon test it with an actual full band in the studio.

But I wanted to make this point: Bob has anticipated SO many potential use scenarios in SAC (and SAW) that I'm totally in awe of his foresight. Every time I think "now how can I make THIS work?" I find that Bob has given me a route to a solution. SAC is so "deep" that I realize I was just scratching the surface when I used it only for live mixing.

I'm sure I'll run into more obstacles as I continue, but am totally confident that a solution will present itself with further study.

So I say THANK YOU BOB for creating the powerful combination of SAW and SAC.

... and Happy New Year to all.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.

Blog Entries

Default Re: OT: A post of appreciation

Richard,

Bob has anticipated SO many potential use scenarios in SAC (and SAW) that I'm totally in awe of his foresight. Every time I think "now how can I make THIS work?" I find that Bob has given me a route to a solution. SAC is so "deep" that I realize I was just scratching the surface when I used it only for live mixing...
    ...Richard, I keep discovering this facet of SAC and SAW - that I am always finding myself completely amazed at the work that Bob has done, and that I am sure, many miss!

Thank you so very much for bringing this facet of SAC and SAW usage to light!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    My ultimate intent is to eliminate my huge studio console and replace it with this setup.
    I've been using SAC as the front end in my studio for several years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Rupert View Post
    But I wanted to make this point: Bob has anticipated SO many potential use scenarios in SAC (and SAW) that I'm totally in awe of his foresight. Every time I think "now how can I make THIS work?" I find that Bob has given me a route to a solution. SAC is so "deep" that I realize I was just scratching the surface when I used it only for live mixing.
    I couldn't agree more!
    Angie Dickinson Mickle

The Studio
    http://www.avocadoproductions.com/ze.../recording.htm

Chris' tribute site
    http://www.micklesong.com

Those of you using SAC as your studio's "front end..."

Questions: What hardware interfaces are you using? How does what you're using handle round trip latency for things like monitoring effects, etc.?

I've been kicking around going "boardless" more and more each year. I've entertained the idea of just using the mixer in SAW in "Live" mode, but if SAC is purpose built for this, that might be the way to go. But I'm also waiting to see what the 64-bit version holds for addressing this.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtZHP View Post

Questions: What hardware interfaces are you using? How does what you're using handle round trip latency for things like monitoring effects, etc.?...
    None of my systems are heavily burdened with fx, samplers, etc. when tracking and only the studio system gets somewhat loaded down with fx at mixing, with virtually no samplers or external MIDI needs.

As far as audio routing goes, it varies for me depending on which system I'm using.
    But all three of my setups use RME HDSP PCI cards... with two systems using Digiface breakout boxes and the studio uses three Multiface boxes routed to the Ashly line mixer.
    One setup monitoring is strictly off the headphone out on the Digiface.
    One setup monitors through a Presonus FS rackmount mic preamp.
    The studio monitors through an Ashly LX-308B rackmount line mixer.

All three computers are rather ancient - two are still currently on Win XP, one on Win7. All are 32-bit.
    Still, I have no issues with the latency at 2x64 in the studio - except with one bass player I've worked with.
    That's on one of the XP computers at the moment and the RME won't go lower than 1x64 - I think.....
    I don't often have to live monitor more than a few channels at once there, but suppose I could easily do so.

The other two don't require real low latency usually, so I run them pretty loose - 2x128, or higher usually.
    I am typically monitoring up to 48 live inputs on those and don't have to get too elaborate with fx and monitor mixer assignments, so just run off the main mixer.

I generally use SAC as a front end in the studio, when tracking live and overdubbing, but usually just monitor off of SAW when editing. I use SAC as the front end for both the other pc's all the time and have only done live overdubs a few times with those systems.

Quote Originally Posted by CurtZHP View Post

Questions: What hardware interfaces are you using? How does what you're using handle round trip latency for things like monitoring effects, etc.?

I've been kicking around going "boardless" more and more each year. I've entertained the idea of just using the mixer in SAW in "Live" mode, but if SAC is purpose built for this, that might be the way to go. But I'm also waiting to see what the 64-bit version holds for addressing this.
    I can't say I'm really using SAC as my front end yet, but early experimentation says I probably will be before too long.
    I bought a Behringer UMC 1820 USB interface and am currently working with that and a Behringer ADA 8000 in the house with my old HP ProBook 4510S running Windows 10 Home. That's far from an ideal computer to take this challenge, but as I say... I'm just learning to work the programs together and setting up scenes. I can run at 1X128 dependably. If this interface won't ultimately suffice, I'll get the RME Digiface (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DigifaceUSB ) and eventually buy a couple of Behringer ADA 8200 converters (I've got several ADA 8000 converters lying around here already from my live mixing days and would probably start with those).
    But I've set up a scene with "FOH" input and three monitor sends and have been experimenting with 12 pre-recorded tracks for trying overdubs. I get some slipped buffers over time, but nothing audible.
    So I'd suggest that if you're considering a new interface, look at the RME. It's only $500... and if you need converters, two 8200s would provide 16 inputs and you'd have under $1K in the whole deal. With RME's reputation, I'm sure that interface would do all you need.
    Richard
    Green Valley Recording
    My cats have nine lives; my life has nine cats.