Close

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Default Re: OT: 'Kernel memory leaking'

Hello,

Intel has provided a detection tools...see here: Intel-SA-00086 Detection Tool
    Note: Requires Net framework V.4.0

For other info as to what is affected, see here...

Note: Will not be a problem who use their systems off-line - as I do. But your every-day-systems may be affected however. What is interesting is that this problem is BIG!
    Last edited by mr_es335; 01-03-2018 at 02:54 PM.

from engadget.com...

The company(Intel) also asserts that this isn't a flaw, but rather "software analysis methods" that could potentially grab sensitive info from computing devices. It doesn't appear to have the ability to corrupt, delete or modify data, Intel added, although that wouldn't be much comfort if someone took sensitive material. There have been "no instances" of people abusing the vulnerability, Intel chief Brian Krzanich told CNBC.
    Laughing Crow Studios
    Alberta Canada

Blog Entries

Danny,
    There have been "no instances" of people abusing the vulnerability, Intel chief Brian Krzanich told CNBC.
    ...I hope that this is good news?

Dell...this type of thing has been going on for years...viruses have been around since the DOS days...before the internet. There have been bigger and more destructive security breaches than this one in the past...in Windows Media Player for eg. I'm sure there are easier ways to get into your computer and steel data than this particular one. No sooner they plug up one hole, another one opens up....I'm not going to lose any sleep over this...
    Laughing Crow Studios
    Alberta Canada

Blog Entries

Danny,

I not going to lose any sleep over this...
    ...neither am I. It is just interesting that after a decade Intel has "now realized" this issue. That was the whole point in this thread and I guess I should have stated this at the outset.

Interesting. Thanks Dell.

I like this follow-up: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...s_annotations/

Makes me think how ironic it is all these years people (myself included, at times) have said 'I recommend Intel processors... just because'. I used to be an AMD fan way back in the days when their FP performance was better than Intel's... Maybe I'll try their product again for a while.

I will admit that all that 'speculative execution' stuff they've been building into the processors to increase performance has never sat well with me. However, the inner workings are over my head so I'll get my coat now...

Re: performance hit - Down near the bottom of the page I linked to the authors state they feel it may not affect certain applications all that much. I think that bodes well for audio users and perhaps especially SAW/SAC.

It really boils down to as we said, and Intel pointed out your workload. If you just play games on your PC, you will not see a slowdown because the software rarely jumps to the kernel during gameplay. Your game will be mostly talking to the graphics processor.
    If all you do is browse Twitter, write emails, and type away in a word processor, you probably won't notice any difference. If you do a lot of in-memory number crunching, you won't see much of an impact because again the kernel isn't getting in the way. If you have PCID support enabled on your hardware and in your kernel, any performance hit should be minimized.

If you hammer the disk, the network, or use software that makes lots of system calls in and out of the kernel, and you're lacking working PCID support, you will see a performance hit. And it's a good idea to warn you, right?

It's a given for this particular issue that any slowdown is dependent upon the kind of work the affected system is being asked to do. Gamers will maintain their frame rates, but that's not what this is about. It's about enterprise workloads and data centers. With reports of SQL database slowdowns of up to 20 or so per cent, it seems premature to say the impact should not be significant. If a company's AWS, Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud bill ends up being, say, three, five or eight per cent higher as a consequence of prolonged compute times, that's significant.

No doubt the patches will be benchmarked, and we'll write about them.
    Last edited by Naturally Digital; 01-04-2018 at 01:17 AM.

Blog Entries

ND,

You stated, "Please don't flame me..." ...I would never even consider that, and..."...I'm not trying to start a battle..."...I believe that you are not...and your points are valid ones.

Thanks for the "heads up".

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    ND,

You stated, "Please don't flame me..." ...I would never even consider that, and..."...I'm not trying to start a battle..."...I believe that you are not...and your points are valid ones.

Thanks for the "heads up".
    That wasn't directed at you Dell.

In fact I think I'll delete that.