Close

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default SAW VS Pro Tools 9.0

I'm working with a small club that just purchased a Presonus Live and now they are considering using Pro Tools 9 for mixing. My comment was that there is nothing that SAW can't do that Pro Tools does. Is there a link on the SAW forum that an A/B comparison was done?

Thank You
    Greg

Default Re: SAW VS Pro Tools 9.0

Quote Originally Posted by Discipled1 View Post
    I'm working with a small club that just purchased a Presonus Live and now they are considering using Pro Tools 9 for mixing. My comment was that there is nothing that SAW can't do that Pro Tools does. Is there a link on the SAW forum that an A/B comparison was done?

Thank You
    Greg
    They are really two very different tools.

SAW studio is a virtual mixing console and a multi-track recorder designed to be software based replacement of those physical hardware components.

ProTools is a Digital Audio Workstation. Yes it records and mixes tracks, but the mixing console is not a virtual version of a full-mixing desk.

In its base configuration, there are no gates, compressors, EQ's or actually any processing at all.

If you want an EQ on a channel, you have to patch it. If you want a gate on a channel you have to patch it.

ProTools does not do faster than real-time processing. So when your done mixing and you want to build a final mix.. you have to wait through the entire session to get the end result.

SAW will build a mix as fast as the system processing will allow. In many cases its easily 5x to 10x realtime (or more). That can be a huge benefit if your going to mix long sessions. Instead of waiting 45 minutes to process a 45 minute set, you can be done in a few minutes.

Both are tools that can be used for recording and mixing, but the workflow is different.

Of coarse there are many options that could be used for session mixes (logic, protools, cakewalk, reaper, Nuendo, tracktion, SAW studio).

All of these products can and are used successfully for the task you are asking about. All of them have their strengths and weaknesses. The real question is who will be doing the session mixes and what are they going to be most comfortable with.

I made a choice to use SAW/SAC as I found the interface metaphor of a fully configured real mixing desk easy to relate to and the sonic quality was/is excellent. But that was a personal choice for me, others may relate better to the interfaces of ProTools or the other software, in which case that could be a better fit. Again, its really going to boil down to who is going to be using the system.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Thank You
    Greg
    An A/B of what? Soundfiles of a mix or are you talking about features?

First, you can't do an A/B of a mix, because there are plug-ins that run in SAW that you can't run in PT and vice versa. If you restricted mixes to plug-ins that are common to both and set it up right, you'd hear the same thing. But, I really like the unique plug-ins in SAW.

PT has the edge on features with regard to time stretching regions and preserving pitch or changing pitch but preserving region length. And PT has beat detective type stuff to slice up your rhythm track and align to a grid. It's designed to help fix crappy performances. Ideally, you might have a PT rig to do some fixing and then SAW for mixing.

I think the workflow of SAW is much nicer for mixing and in general. Especially with volume automation which is usually the most time consuming part of mixing. Also for example, in SAW you can engage a high pass filter instantly on a whole series of channels. In PT you'd have to copy plug-ins across tracks. SAW has nice mix and channel template features. Lots of good well thought out stuff.
    Last edited by Grekim; 05-17-2011 at 05:33 AM.

Thank You
    Greg
    In your first sentence you said you wanted to use PT9 for "mixing". Is this to run live sound or to record a live show and mix afterwards? If live sound is the case then I would say neither PT9 or SAW and your should be looking at SAC. As for SAW & PT9 What cgrafx said is very true "They are really two very different tools" & "Both are tools that can be used for recording and mixing, but the workflow is different". As far as SAW & SAC go you should download the demo http://www.sawstudio.com/downloads_demos.htm and see what they have to offer. Although I use (in a studio setting) Pro Tools & Logic now as my primary tools for creation, recording & mixing (FWIW I used SAW since the mid 90's up till a couple of years ago). I think for what you are looking to do in a live club setting I would hands down recommend the SAW/SAC combination! The SAW / SAC combo if paired up with a good computer & audio interface are solid as a rock!! PT9 is a decent program however I will be the first to tell you it is a CPU hog & can be finicky compared to SAW/SAC. Plus another issue would be that you would have to tote an iLok with you for PT9! FWIW I do love the iLok technology but the bottom line is no iLok = no PT9 (and any associated plugin's). Although that may not be an issue for you. . . . .
    Joe
    Last edited by soundtrack2life; 05-17-2011 at 05:18 AM.

Blog Entries

Thank You
    Greg
    I think you mean they want PT9 to Record and Mix the recording? As for your comment "there is nothing that SAW can't do that Pro Tools does" is not true, in fact there is a ton of things SAW can't do that PT9 does.
    Last edited by Microstudio; 05-17-2011 at 06:32 AM.

6. Default Re: SAW VS Pro Tools 9.0

As for your comment "there is nothing that SAW can't do that Pro Tools does" is not true, in fact there is a ton of things SAW can't do that PT9 does.
    Thats right... however up till pure mixing (not editing) is involved, there are a couple of things that SAW can do that PT9 can't

Fu

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fulvio fullcode Politi View Post
    Thats right... however up till pure mixing (not editing) is involved, there are a couple of things that SAW can do that PT9 can't

Fu
    Like what?

Quote Originally Posted by Grekim View Post
    An A/B of what? Soundfiles of a mix or are you talking about features?
    I understood him to mean a PT vs. SAW feature comparison chart-like-thing.

Nosir, I don't believe there is such a chart anywhere. Maybe someone would like to make one? Boys and girl?
    Last edited by Dave Labrecque; 05-17-2011 at 08:46 AM.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Microstudio View Post
    Like what?
    Unless using HD, you are forced to monitor through the DAW. Not sure about version 9, but I suspect you still can't adjust time line placement of audio, compensating for soundcard in/out.

I'll just add to the list as I think of things. Editing and mixing aside, right?

F-Key views. Love it.
    Individual track waveform heights.
    No dongle and easy install.
    Last edited by Grekim; 05-17-2011 at 09:10 AM.

PT9 Native (non HD) if you wanted to use say the RME Totalmix to monitor playback that is not really possible for punch in scenarios due to the latency and no way possible to disable the software monitoring . But best of all like I said in my previous post. . . . no dongle (i.e. iLok) with SAW / SAC. As a recent converter to PT9 & Logic from SAW / SAC I still believe for his application SAW would be the best way to go over PT! BTW I guess we are all making the assumption that he is using a PC? The main reason I left SAW / SAW was because I decided I was going to use all Mac applications (along with compatibility with clients & other studio's). FWIW my personal experience was not good with Pro Tools on a PC compared to a Mac. However this was on versions prior to PT9 so that may have changed. FWIW my SAW / SAC computer was SOLID as a rock with XP. The bottom line is he should download the SAW / SAC demo and kick the tires.
    Joe
    Last edited by soundtrack2life; 05-17-2011 at 10:40 AM.