Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Analog mixer suggestions

I have a Mackie onyx 1220 with a firewire interface. I am on my third firewire card that requires the legacy driver to work with win-10 on a HP. It turns out the legacy firewire driver does not work in recent builds of windows. Also unfortunate is that the HP PC's chipset or some other components are incompatible with win7 as the initial install works - but the screen consistently goes black at some point in the install.

Studio64 works fine on the HP, a Behringer air x16 and win10 - but the mixer has no interface.

Over the years, I had tried many many different setups, (digital mixers, outboard converters...) but stopped trying things once I got that analog mixer, with each channel and the main mix having a ADC, as it sounded and works great, and was simple, predictable and reliable - but in it's current roll, could use a few more channels, as it has only 4 mic-pres and a handful of mono or stereo line-ins (I also use a couple of outboard mic-pres). I would just continue using this setup, if not for the firewire issue (at this point, I should mention technology really sucks).

I am still using 32bit SS on a P4 - but the reason I bought 64 and the HP that is sitting around, is that these things don't last forever (although never plugging it into the internet is allowing it to try).

So I am considering replicating what I have - with a couple more channels. The current versions of the onyx do not have a converter (and the talk I have heard is they are not as solid as the older Mackies).

I figured you guys you guys might weigh in on a quality analog mixer with built in converters, a contemporary digital audio interface like usb2 or 3, and a solid driver.

John
    Last edited by jmh; 08-12-2019 at 03:36 PM. Reason: clarity

Default Re: Analog mixer suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    I have a Mackie onyx 1220 with a firewire interface. I am on my third firewire card that requires the legacy driver to work with win-10 on a HP. It turns out the legacy firewire driver does not work in recent builds of windows. Also unfortunate is that the HP PC's chipset or some other components are incompatible with win7 as the initial install works - but the screen consistently goes black at some point in the install.

Studio64 works fine on the HP, a Behringer air x16 and win10 - but the mixer has no interface.

Over the years, I had tried many many different setups, (digital mixers, outboard converters...) but stopped trying things once I got that analog mixer, with each channel and the main mix having a ADC, as it sounded and works great, and was simple, predictable and reliable - but in it's current roll, could use a few more channels, as it has only 4 mic-pres and a handful of mono or stereo line-ins (I also use a couple of outboard mic-pres). I would just continue using this setup, if not for the firewire issue (at this point, I should mention technology really sucks).

I am still using 32bit SS on a P4 - but the reason I bought 64 and the HP that is sitting around, is that these things don't last forever (although never plugging it into the internet is allowing it to try).

So I am considering replicating what I have - with a couple more channels. The current versions of the onyx do not have a converter (and the talk I have heard is they are not as solid as the older Mackies).

I figured you guys you guys might weigh in on a quality analog mixer with built in converters, a contemporary digital audio interface like usb2 or 3, and a solid driver.

John
    Hi John,

I'm having a little trouble deciphering exactly what your trying to accomplish.

How many channels are you looking to have, and are you only using SAW Studio.

The x16 is a complete mixer. Is there a reason you want to use something else?

You could easily pick up a Berhinger ADA8200 or plenty of other interfaces (RME, Motu, etc) and just mix with SAW Studio or get a copy of SAC and use that.

It would be helpful to get a better picture of what gear you have, what your using that gear for and perhaps what you want to do that you aren't able to do now.
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

The x16 has no knobs - virtual interface only. I only use SS - and have no interest in adjusting faders and trim... on another application. I am a sporadic user of studio, so while I sometimes explore studio's features if I am trying to achieve something specific, I really have a relatively small set of controls I can reliably remember and use.

I might use up to 6 mic channels and 6 stereo line in channels.

The beauty of the onyx for me is the converters are built in only and after the trim & inserts, for each channel. With all of the audio in analog except playback, it is super simple, you can see everything at a glance and I already know how to use it - and that is what I want to preserve.

BTW I know how to use the X16 rather well - it has some fantastic features - but it would ultimately make the recording process more cumbersome and slow for me.

Blog Entries

jmh,

You stated, "I have a Mackie onyx 1220 with a firewire interface" ... and ... "the legacy firewire driver does not work in recent builds of windows" ...therefore, if we could ascertain what it is you are seeking advice for, due to the problems you are experiencing with the Mackie and firewire, you would be looking to obtain an alternative to that Mackie mixer? Would this observation be correct?

If so, may I ask what is the purpose behind the actual connectivity?

Quote Originally Posted by jmh View Post
    The x16 has no knobs - virtual interface only. I only use SS - and have no interest in adjusting faders and trim... on another application. I am a sporadic user of studio, so while I sometimes explore studio's features if I am trying to achieve something specific, I really have a relatively small set of controls I can reliably remember and use.

I might use up to 6 mic channels and 6 stereo line in channels.

The beauty of the onyx for me is the converters are built in only and after the trim & inserts, for each channel. With all of the audio in analog except playback, it is super simple, you can see everything at a glance and I already know how to use it - and that is what I want to preserve.

BTW I know how to use the X16 rather well - it has some fantastic features - but it would ultimately make the recording process more cumbersome and slow for me.
    You could add an x-touch control surface to the x16 and have physical faders, knobs and buttons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrwHcPCH8Vo
    ---------------------------------------
    Philip G.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    jmh,

You stated, "I have a Mackie onyx 1220 with a firewire interface" ... and ... "the legacy firewire driver does not work in recent builds of windows" ...therefore, if we could ascertain what it is you are seeking advice for, due to the problems you are experiencing with the Mackie and firewire, you would be looking to obtain an alternative to that Mackie mixer? Would this observation be correct?
    Yes.
    If so, may I ask what is the purpose behind the actual connectivity?
    I trying to replicate the mixer that I already have (adding a couple each of mic and line inputs) with something other than firewire for connectivity to the PC. As I said, I have tried many different setups - and what has been most effective (for me) is utilizing this simple analog mixer as my converter.

The Mackie has 16 firewire outputs - the 12 input channels + 2(aux or something? that never get used) + 2 for the main mix. It also has 2 FW inputs which is my SS playback.

Many of the smaller analog mixers I have looked at have a 2 in, 2 out USB interface which is not adequate.

Blog Entries

jmh
    I trying to replicate the mixer that I already have (adding a couple each of mic and line inputs) with something other than firewire for connectivity to the PC.
    ...Okay! So, you are "more-than-likely" looking for an analog mixer with 14+ channels and with USB connectivity?
    * Note: May I ask what the purpose is of the digital connectivity?

This question might be best asked at a local music store as this question is rather off-topic and more vendor-specific. I am sure that there are a number of workable solutions for you.

For example, the Behringer X2222USB..however, this unit only uses the ASIO4ALL drivers.

You could do something like this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-with-effects

But your best bet may be to get a straight analog mixer that you like and pair it with one or more multichannel ADDAs of your choice, like the Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820 if you like USB. Or an RME product, if you think it'll sound better.
    Dave "it aint the heat, it's the humidity" Labrecque
    Becket, Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by mr_es335 View Post
    jmh
    ...Okay! So, you are "more-than-likely" looking for an analog mixer with 14+ channels and with USB connectivity?
    * Note: May I ask what the purpose is of the digital connectivity?.
    SS64 (what else?)

I mostly do one or two tracks at a time, but have drums set up here which might be recorded on 5 tracks plus other players (of course, it is these band occasions when a couple more inputs would be handy). I have a few really good preamps, so micing is usually through them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Labrecque View Post
    This is along the lines of what I'm thinking...